German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeding Egg yolks

Hi there,
At how many months/age can you start feeding an egg yolk mixed in with dog food? My GSD is nine months old and was wondering if it was ok to do so now or is it best to wait until older? I heard it's actually good for them. I would appreciate any advice.
best regards,
Debbie

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Re: Feeding Egg yolks

we feed our 2 raw eggs, shell and all, and have done so since kelso was about 7 months (he is now 15mo), not to say you cant start earlier, this is just when we started feeding raw meat and eggs. they only get an egg every third day or so, at most every other day and at least once a week. just depends on what we have around

·
Registered
835 Posts

I prefer the whole egg in one piece dropped into the bowl, except my dog won't eat the shell so I just toss it. He had his first egg around 4 or 5 months but I'd certainly start earlier.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks! Will start doing it tomorrow! Are you guys feeding the egg yolk for breakfast or at dinner time/or does it really matter when? I was thinking about throwing it in with his kibble for breakfast rather than wet food all the time. My GSD is picky and gets bored of his food quickly. Just trying healthy ways to keep him entertained with his kibble.
regards,
Debbie

·
Registered
598 Posts

Hi, Debbie-

What is the reason you want to feed the yolk only? The whole egg is good for them. My GSD pup gets a whole egg about every other day. The egg white actually has more protein than the yolk, and the shell adds calcium. My pup actually eats the shell first, then the egg mixed in his food.

A tablespoon of plain yogurt is good for them, too. Calcium and good bacteria in it. My dog loves this too.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts

I used to feed only the yolk but for selfish interest. As I have cholesterol problems if I do scrambled eggs or omelette I use one yolk every three eggs. You can guess who eated the other two yolks

·
Registered
228 Posts

I fed whole egg at 10 weeks. She has gotten at least one a week since. When I give it to her, I try to make sure there are small pieces of the shell for the calcium since she wont eat the shell on her own.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Didn't know the shell had calcium in it! I learn something new evreyday. Lol! Will defenitely start feeding him a whole egg in kibble for breakfast. thanks again guys, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have a question won't the egg shell cause an obstruction or cut the intestines? I have no problem agreeing with the egg itself its the shell that scares me.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

egg shells will dissolve almost instantly in a dog's stomach acid. They can easily digest bones, so egg shells are nothing.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts

There is no problem with feeding the whole shell. If this is beyond your comfort level, you can always just grind it up to a powder first. I crush it in my hand and then feed it that way.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts

i used to smash it up in little pieces (the egg with shell) now i just throw it in the bowl!
no problems here..i think they like scrambling their own eggs

·
Banned
2,415 Posts

My GSD has been eating eggs a few times a week since about 4 months old. He has never had a problem with an entire raw egg.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Can the avidin in raw whites binding with biotin cause o biotin deficiency in dogs like it can in humans? I've always cooked the whole egg to neutralize the avidin because of that danger. Yolks don't contain avidin so there's no danger there. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

Originally Posted By: RavensMomCan the avidin in raw whites binding with biotin cause o biotin deficiency in dogs like it can in humans? I've always cooked the whole egg to neutralize the avidin because of that danger. Yolks don't contain avidin so there's no danger there. Anyone know?
The biotin problem with raw whites is eliminated by giving the yolk. Your best bet is to give the whole egg raw - shell and all - a few times a week - at any age.

·
Registered
408 Posts

OK, thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

So you just take an egg out of the fridge and place it in the food bowl? Sorry if that seems like a silly question but I've never heard of giving dogs/puppies eggs.
And does this replace the kibble or in addition to it? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts