German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like the second post being about an upset stomach. Ever since I brought home my 4 month old pup he’s had loose stools, sometimes distinctive shapes, other times more of just mush. Last night he had a pretty significant episode of Diarrhea. The breeder had him on a mixture of Victor Nutro Pro and Nutri Source LBP. His diet here has been just Victor Professional. His weight hovers around 27lbs. The feeding guide suggests 2 cups for a 30lb dog and 1 1/2 for 20, so I’ve going with that. Breaking it up to twice a day. Lately he’s been devouring his food so I’ve been introducing about 1/2 cup more. Is it possible that I’m over feeding?

I didn’t let him eat last night or this morning and his stool seemed normal. Actually better than usual. So wondering if I should let him eat his normal kibble or a bland diet.

Also would it be beneficial to switch to Nutro Pro instead of professional? I know there’s a distinct difference in kibble size and ingredients.

I also regularly give him Zukes minis for training.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding, yeah with him always wanting more, I was curious if I was feeding enough. I keep reading about the dangers of it that I was trying to stay within the guidelines. He’s sleeping now so these are the best I can get.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi, the feeding recommendations for Victor are based on adult body weights. Puppies that weigh 30lbs need more food than an adult dog that weighs 30lbs. Personally, my 16 week old puppy gets something like 4 cups a day.

Also, it's not normal for a puppy to constantly have diarrhea, have you had him checked by a vet, fecal sample done, and wormed? Perhaps try the Victor Chicken and Rice formula, it's a less rich formula as not all puppies do well on a very rich diet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. That makes sense I’ll gradually work my way up to more cups. Should I be letting him eat till he’s full for each meal?

The last vet checkin came back clear, but we have another checkin next week.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
. Ever since I brought home my 4 month old pup he’s had loose stools, sometimes distinctive shapes, other times more of just mush. Last night he had a pretty significant episode of Diarrhea. The breeder had him on a mixture of Victor Nutro Pro and Nutri Source LBP. His diet here has been just Victor Professional.

I didn’t let him eat last night or this morning and his stool seemed normal. Actually better than usual. So wondering if I should let him eat his normal kibble or a bland diet.
Vet check for Giardia

If your little guy has had loose stool or bouts of diarrhea since you got him, I would say whatever you are feeding him is not agreeing with him and to change brands.

To help get the diarrhea under control:
withhold food for 12 hours (for Puppies) or, up to 24 hours (older dogs). Then put dog on a bland diet for a few days.

Purchase some boneless, skinless chicken breast (remove all fat) or ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast. If chicken is a problem, purchase ground chuck or ground round steak. Also purchase regular white rice (the long cooking kind), and a can of PLAIN (NOT pie filling) Pumpkin.

Boil the meat, then rinse grease off of meat very well. Shred/break apart and cool.

White Rice (not instant): make with about 2 times the amount of water suggested. The cook time will take almost twice as long but will make the rice super digestible. Adjust stove heat towards the end of cooking time so as not to burn.

Ratio mix should be 2 cups rice to 1 cup chicken, turkey or beef.

Feeding should be divided into about 4 smaller feedings per day adding 1-2 Tablespoons of Pumpkin per meal.

Adjust amount of this mix fed per day for your size dog.

After stool is back to normal, you can begin to slowly add in a little kibble at each feeding until back to normal amount fed. When you are to this point, I would choose a new kibble to add in.

Fromm's is a popular brand on this blog and is a family owned company that own their own manufacturing plant: Fromm Dog Food and Treats

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Yeah I’m going to try a bland diet tonight since his poop was healthy earlier today. The breeder had him on Victor, but a different formula than what we are using. Along with Nutri Source. Although I would like to stick with one brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts