German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I move out of state this fall to go back to school, my cats are going to stay behind with my parents and sister (I didn't find out that I was allergic until after I had the cats, and it's best that they not come with me to my new place).

I would like to get another cat, though, and I know there are breeds that produce fewer allergens and are well-tolerated by allergy sufferers like me. I would like to see if I can find one in need of a home.

Unfortunately, my girls right now are picky eaters and when I got Gabe and learned about the raw diet, they didn't want to give up their kibble/canned junk. With another cat, though, I would try to give a better start and feed a raw diet.

So here's a little cursory research for that possibility. Does anyone have any expertise with feeding cats a raw diet? What bones can they handle? It's one thing for Gabe to crunch through bones like they're nothing, but cats have such smaller teeth and jaws...

I would appreciate any advice or experiences you can offer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi there,

We tested raw with our cats, and may go fully to it (hubby is a bit reluctant, and I need to check sources once we move) in another month or so. Our cats are from 5 to 13 years old. We DID transition them from kibble to wet (we're using a "cheap" canned food that is considered a very decent complete meal, it's Friskies Classic Pate, I buy it in the large cans) and are THRILLED with our results.

There is a large raw community on http://www.thecatsite.com/f/. The site I used to make my raw was Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes. I didn't feed any bones at the time as I don't have a grinder, but I plan to purchase the one recommended on CatInfo once we move, if I decide to go raw. (Hubby is very happy with the canned only result and doesn't see why I would want to deal with raw, so we will see.)

If I remember correctly, wing tips are about the only bones served whole, but you will want to read on those links for absolute information.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
You need to make sure you are doing it correctly. Cats have to get taurine from their diets or they could die. And cats are notoriously hard to switch over. Don't have time right now but if you want to talk more, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

ETA: sent you a PM

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
If you go to the Cat Forum (Catforum.com) they have a whole subsection about raw diet and some very knowledgeable folks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts