German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm starting to buy supplies for a new GSD puppy I'll be getting soon.

Can anyone recommend good food & water bowls for an 8-9 week old puppy?

I've read that stainless steel is the best.

But I need advice on how big the bowls should be for a puppy...do they need to be shallow? How many ounces of food should the food bowl hold?

Since puppy will be growing fast, do I need to start out with small bowls, then buy progressively larger ones as he grows? Or can I just buy a set of large ones from the start, or will they be too difficult for him to eat and drink from?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Personal preference :)
Whatever holds food and water will work. My last puppy had a thing for flinging the water dish across the room so a smaller bowl worked for us that didn’t require that much cleanup because it didn’t hold that much lol

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My shepherd eats out of a slow feeder/puzzle bowl or a KONG Wobbler, usually the wobbler. If I feed him out of a normal bowl, he eats three cups in literally 45 seconds and then pukes it all back up.

For water bowls, he started out with a smaller shallow water bowl because he liked to dig in the water. Once he learned he wasn’t allowed to do that, he was upgraded to a large glass bowl because he drinks loads of water. It’s all up to what you like and what works for your dog.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd just stay away from plastic that can scratch and hold bacteria. Also a heavier water bowl is better for pups that like to either play in the water or flip it for fun.

I have the same ceramic type bowls at home for decades and multiple dogs and the same stainless steel bowls at the cottage for decades.

And Pytheis, if your dog "eats three cups in literally 45 seconds and then pukes it all back up" have you tried taking the food away and putting back down in a minute and repeat for the last 1/3?

Dogs that scarf their food down can get food possessive. He needs to relax.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It's personally preference on size. But yes stay away, far away from anything plastic for regular use. It can cause lip and nose reaction issues.
I've used the same 1.5 quart stainless steel bowl set since my husband and I got our first dog together. We are 35 years in and on dog number 5 since we bought those bowls. Ziva will drink water from the bowls but decided around 9-12 months old she didn't like eating out of them. She has her own dollar store ceramic plates for food...lol!
I will say that we usually start young pups out with cereal bowls. The size is good and easy access. They don't use them long though. Usually just a few weeks at best as then they don't hold enough and the pup has gotten big enough to navigate the larger bowls.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My dog's water bowl is a pyrex mixmaster bowl. It's easy to check how clean his water is, being glass. He likes drinking from toilets, when he gets the opportunity. His food bowl is a stainless steel pet bowl.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
As WNGD said....stay away from plastic!

"Dogs can develop an allergic reaction or other health problems due to using plastic bowls for food and water because of the BPA (Bisephenol A) leaching into them."

Quotes:
“Some dogs may develop an allergy to the plastic, resulting in skin reactions on the chin or face."

“The leaching of BPA from the polycarbonate plastics and the polycarbonate plastic lining of containers is particularly alarming in light of the serious health risks associated with BPA ingestion."

These bowls aren't heavy so they will tip with puppy antics! But.....I LOVE these bowls!
You'll never have to purchase another one!

“Some foreign made stainless steel pet bowls have been found with high levels of lead and some were even recalled for being 'slightly' radioactive.”

You cannot purchase these bowls at a big box pet store.

Basic Pet: Stainless Steel Dog Bowls - Made in the USA
I would get 1 large for food and an XL for water. The pup will grow into them!

* “We use only USA made stainless steel. It's a heavy weight, durable, 22 gauge US stainless steel that's dishwasher safe.
*Prior to use, all of our stainless steel must pass an extensive metallurgical analysis that confirms it's a high quality, 304 series (sometimes called 18/8) stainless steel.
*Our bowls are 100% Made in the USA in a facility that typically makes human grade products for the healthcare and food industries.
*After manufacture, each batch of bowls is tested for lead, mercury, and cadmium by an independent lab that is third party accredited by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). You can view the test results covering current inventory here. "

I have heard that Weather Tech bowls are also very nice: WeatherTech Pet Feeding System Bowls | WeatherTech

Non-slip mat to hold feeding bowls to contain small spills: Amazon.com: iPrimio Extra Large Pet Feeding Bowl Mat with Logo - FDA Silicone - Hygienic and Safe for Allergic Dogs and Cats - Prevent Pet Water Food Spills - Spill Edge Protect Floor - Non Slip (Gray 22" by 14"): Pet Supplies

OR
a old fashion boot mat will work too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts