German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been feeding my almost 10-week old puppy Answers Raw Detailed Formula because that is what my breeder fed her. I am still wrestling with how much I should feed her. I initially fed the recommended amount on the back of the box, but that chart really only applies to adult dogs, not growing puppies that need more calories. The holistic pet supply store that sold me the Answers Raw said 5-6 oz per day is an appropriate amount for my 12.5 lb puppy. However, my breeder said this general rule for feeding raw is to feed them 5%-7% of their body weight. In which case, I should be feeding at least 10 oz of Answers per day. I brought this up with the holistic pet supply store, and they said I could feed 25% less Answers Detailed Formula than other raw because of the fermentation process that occurs when producing the Answers Detailed Formula. Have any of you guys fed Answers raw and if so, how much did you feed? I currently feed her 6.5 oz of the Answers Raw Detailed Formula. I can feel but not see my puppy's ribs. She is still acting hungry after each feeding. I wasn't sure if that meant she is still hungry or if that is just a puppy thing. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
ANSWER'S is a great food!

"my breeder said this general rule for feeding raw is to feed them 5%-7% of their body weight. In which case, I should be feeding at least 10 oz of Answers per day." YES

Listen to your breeder. She is the one feeding many puppies and having success.

I have a 13 week old pup. I feed raw but not Answers.

My rule of thumb for feeding raw is to feed puppies 8%-10% of his CURRENT body rate, watching to maintain condition.

Remember.....you are feeding a PUPPY not an adult. Puppies need MORE calories.

Moms :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. My breeder feeds the Answers Raw Detailed Formula with a dehydrated raw food to her puppies, so I was confused as to how much of just the Answers I should feed. I am increasing my puppy's daily intake. She seems more satiated after each meal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts