German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My female puppy Xyla has lots of energy and seems healthy. But does she look a bit overweight?

Feeding her Blue Wilderness puppy.... 1 cup in the morning and one in the evening. Been seeing a lot of post that Blue Wilderness is to rich.

She plays a lot all day and happy with short quarter mile walks on a leash.
Is this food is to rich, any other suggestions on a comparable kibbles? I want to go raw with her but the wife is against it. She thinks raw is to expensive.

Her weight is 15lbs and is 9 weeks one day old today.

Attached is a picture of her sleeping.

Any advise would be great! Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I would just follow the Blue guidelines and adjust as needed. I don't think Blue is noticeably more rich than other quality kibbles. As far as the cost of raw, I've seen members claim to save money switching so it may be worth looking into. Your pup looks fine to me and comfortable too.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
she'll be stretched out, longer, and looking too skinny in no time, they grow so fast :) She looks perfect

·
Registered
16 Posts
She looks just fine to me.

I don't really know what you mean by "too rich"- too rich in what?

The important things you want to look at in your puppy food (for any large -giant breeds) are protein, calcium and energy. So I would check the brand of food you're using and see if it meets the standards below. :)

"Foods containing 23- 31% crude protein (6.4 - 8.8 g/1--kcal ME) do not have any deleterious effect on skeletal development and they support optimal growth provided Calcium and energy levels are appropriate.
Foods for large to giant breed puppies should contain 0.7 - 1.2% DM calcium, and the food should provide about 3.5 kcal (14.6 kJ) ME/g DM"

These recommendations are from 'Small Animal Clinical Nutrition, 4th Edition by Hand, Thatcher, Remillard and Roudebush'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts