German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some serious help! My 5 month old (I believe) has been given too much freedom with his eating and drinking regimen. Here is the most recent problems, pooping and eating it in the crate, then throwing it up later. It has been a huge mess and and trying to resolve it by Accent on the food for the taste-but this would have been continued if my husband had not assumed the dog stopped the behavior (not witnessing it). Also he does not eat like normal dog. Treats are great, but he could really careless about eating his food. Treats have not been given in abundance b/c of this but he still has almost no desire to eat. So with that said my husband has been letting him eat whenever he wants (the measured amount down whenever he feels like finishing it). I believe this will solve the problem to stick to an eating schedule of (staring him) by leaving his food available only for 30 minutes then taking away-same with water(I think he is watering down his poop if that is possible by drinking too much and to control the peeing). Will any of these things solve my issue? I'm open to any other suggestions on how long to keep this up b/c a couple of weeks going well then laxing on the idea (b/c we don't have an issue at the moment) then creating a big one to start over. More or less I'm having problems convincing my lazy husband to stick to a routine.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My pup is a picky eater too, so I sprinkle dried liver treat (broken up into bits) on his kibble. Also mixing yogurt in can help. I think to straighten this situation out QUICKLY you should go ahead and make his food more appealing so you can get him on an eating/pooping schedule. He will end up pooping on a more regular schedule if he is eating on a more regular schedule. Make sure he goes and pick it up IMMEDIATELY. Then he can go back in his crate. I wouldn't limit his water.
Make sure the crate is only large enough for him to turn around in so he won't want to poop in there.
I can't help you convince your husband to stick to a routine--well maybe put him in charge of cleaning up the mess if the pup throws up!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
1. What are you feeding
2. Do not let him eat at will
3. a puppy will not want to lay in pee or poop so someone is not letting him out enough
4.poop is runny because you are over feeding
5.treats should be given as a reward for good behavior and a dog doesn't judge size so smaller is better
6.a puppy should never be out of your site and if he potty's in the house it is our fault for missing the signs not the puppies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The census says don't limit water, okay. As for what I am feeding 'taste of the wild' and it calls for 6 cups/day for his size 50 and age 4mon, 3 weeks, but from the looks of it it will be reduced to 4 soon. Well should start now. As for the training I'm trying my best to read the signs and take him out regularly, but it also sounds he may have too much room in his crate too early again my husbands thinking. any other suggestions hould help thanks.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why is your pup in his crate so long that he has
to pee and poop in it?

maybe your dog doesn't like what you're feeding him. my boy
stopped eating his food twice. after switching brands
everything was fine.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe goes through picky stages and we just add wet dog food to the mix. She gets 3 1/2 cups a day split up between morning and evening. It goes down for 30 minutes and gets picked up until the evening whether she eats it or not. It will take a few weeks but if your consistent your pup will get the message. Don't sweat skipped meals and don't just leave it out with the option to nosh here and there. Also 6 cups is a lot even for a pup so he may be eating fine just not what the bag calls for....they always up the cups. How much does your dog weigh and have you ruled out allergies? If weight and allergies are in check I'd go the tough love route and wait it out- they eat when they are hungry:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well a couple of things I must add. We also have the stress of moving into a new house so this problem has just arised b/c of my husband and I are between houses right now trying to get the new one ready to fully move in. So this week we have been off our schedule, I do think up till now he has been spending way too much time in the crate anyways with us both starting around 7 and 8 and working 8 hrs without being able to let him out until we get home. This week he spent most of his time working on the house and the dog was not in the crate at all even at night when he stayed there. However I still think he is too young and untrained for that I do not wish him to get into his own thing in the middle of the night while we are sleeping or mess on the carpet which he did christmas day 1/2 hr after he was out and did not let us know after I got back in bed. I just would feel more comfortable and be able to relax knowing he is not alone to explore a new house while we are occupied.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You are right that your puppy is still too young to left loose at night. Don't feel bad about crating while you are sleeping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts