German Shepherds Forum banner

Feeding 2x a Day

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Daisy&Lucky's Mom 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm feeding 2x a day now, what times do you guys feed your dog? Just curious, what is most optimal for our pups

#3 ·
Not sure what is optimal, but I feed at 8am following 10 minutes of outside play time at 7:30am and again at 5:30pm generally, which is around my work schedule. I get off work at 4:30 so we will have outside play time again then. I'll let him cool down for 30 minutes or so before feeding dinner.

#9 ·
Hope this doesn't go too much off topic, but I'd wait at least 30 minutes minimum before you exercise the dog after eating. I've read and heard horror stories of deep chested dogs, like GSDs, playing right after eating and dying within a few hours because their stomach flipped. Just something to think about.

#4 ·
I was used to feeding dogs once in the morning and then maybe training treats. Feeding a dog twice a day is fairly new to me. I find that with my dogs, a small breakfast is good. That way if I want to teach something new with treats, or do a game with treats, they are still hungry...but still have a little fuel in the belly to work if I don't use treats. They get a bigger dinner in the evening when rowdy play is supposed to be done. They take a two to three hour rest after their dinner. After that we take our final walk of the day, get their daily brush out, do some little "trick" work and then they help my hubby check the doors before we all go to bed.

#6 ·
I feed approximately every 12 hours. That can vary a bit, which is fine. And on days when I have to get up for work they eat earlier than non-work days when I sleep in later. Breakfast can be anywhere from 6:30 to 8 AM, sometimes later, dinner is usually between 6 and 7:30 PM.

Reactions: Tr@ce and tc68
#14 ·
My dog is not food motivated(no matter the food) and is one of those dogs who if her stomach is the littlest bit empty she barfs and then wont eat at all for the day. With a lot of trial and help from past posts on this forum her day is broken into: breakfast 7am: 1& 1/2cup kibble +couple tablespoons of wet food in bowl, 9am: kong with 1/2 cup kibble tiny bit peanut butter when I go to work. 5pm: 1/2 cup kibble in Kong wobbler, 8pm: 1 cup+couple tablespoons of wet, 11pm: bed time kong with 1/2 cup kibble tiny bit of peanut butter. day total = 4cups + the wet food (All exercise takes place far away from eating times) It sounds weird and can be a pain to split it all up but keeps her tummy happy, she eats her daily amount, keeps a good weight and no problem poop! Just wanted to put this up for any one else struggling with sensitive tummy / not food motivated doggies (she eats Nutrience infusion dog food)

#15 ·
I'm doing the morning feeding at 6AM, which allows me to get my breakfast going and other morning routine stuff done before he gets some playtime in the backyard and/or a walk. There's about 90 minutes between the feeding and the running about activity.

Then he gets his evening feeding at about 6PM, which is the earliest I can get home from work. I might play light or do training for about 15-20 minutes before feeding. Again, after feeding I get to sit a spell, have my dinner etc. before more play, walking, etc.

Weekends I hope to sleep in a little, but the dog alarm always goes off around 5:30 A. I feed him and then he'll usually be happy to go back to sleep. I think he is learning that he'll get a lot of exercise on the weekends!

#16 ·
Research has shown that feeding twice a day, especially when feeding kibble is more beneficial to dogs. Energy levels are more constant, blood sugar is more constant and the dog carries less stool.

Also, IMO it reduces the risk of bloat. I know several GSD's that have bloated after eating 4+ cups of dry food in one feeding.

I would also limit any stress, excitement or exercise for an hour or so before and after feeding.

#20 ·
My pups eat twice a day Monday through Friday between 7:00am and 8:00 AM at night between 7:00Pm and 8:00PM. On the weekend it caries but breakfast by 9:00AM and Diner around 7:30 to 8PM. I like the smaller meals especially with kibble to reduce the risk of bloat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.