German Shepherds Forum banner

Do You Feed Your Dog Table Scraps??

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feed your dog human food?? If so, what kinds??

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Raw meats of all kinds.
Cooked chicken breast for training treats
hot dogs
cheese
peanut butter
cottage cheese
plain yogurt
bread
green beans
some fruits

·
Registered
17 Posts
We give Bandit, Lamb & Chicken burger added to his Royal Canine food three times a week for his morning meal. He loves it :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hmmmm... I don't think of the organ meat/whole rabbit that I feed as "human food"... at least not for this human! Yuck! Couldn't PAY me to eat it!

The beef and back when I was feeding it, the chicken... yeah, guess you could call it "human food". No need to be stingy, though, its just as much "dog food" as anything ;)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I buy & cook chicken for them to add to thier kibble or I will give them leftover meat. I use steak, cheese or hot dogs for training. When I can I make liver brownies they love them. As a treat sometimes I'd give them frozen vanilla yogurt. Rice & chopmeat if loose stool.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Although I feed partial raw...I thought the poll meant feeding food that us skin folks were actually eating at the time, or left overs from meals we consumed.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
leftover anything really. Beef stew, potato soup, chicken, turkey, pizza crusts, chicken papricka, spanish rice, spinach chicken, cheese, lunch meat, eggs, yogurt, beef, potato, carrots. Probably a bajillion other things I am not thinking about like apples, blueberries, etc.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
My pup NEVER gets food that we cook for our dinner. Granted he will get cheese as training treats, but he doesn't get our "left overs". Neither pup does. They are allergic to corn so I'd rather not deal with runny stool and a beggin pup...

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I always feed the 'human food' after he's eaten his regular meal, but I do give him scrambled eggs, yogurt, peanut butter, raw meats, brown rice sometimes. He LOVES sweet potatoes. I use string cheese, hot dogs and cubed chicken for training treats, as well as beef crunchies. I guess all the training treats are human food. But as far a table scraps, no I haven't given him any.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I clicked "occasionally" and also "only if he doesn't beg"--not sure if both registered. Never at or near the table! You do that one time and you are doomed to being stared at during meals forever:D

I will add that he has to do something before getting any treat, even if it is just "sit".

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Jake gets a raw egg yolk every now and then...I don't eat the yolk, trimmings from chicken and beef before it is cooked. Any left over protein really. I just add it to his kibble that day.
He does get string cheese and hotdogs for training....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Our dogs get yogurt, blueberries, apples, sweet potatoes, veges etc. Of course not with every meal :) But I feed partial raw as well!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I clean my refrigerator out every Saturday prior to going to the market, so I take the lid of the plastic trash can I keep the bags of kibble in and put all the food I want to clear out spread out on the lid and let all the dogs share the potpourri of goodies, all of my dogs share nicely and look so forward to this routine. :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I think the poll meant when you are done eating dinner do you give your dogs the leftovers or throw the leftovers out. I am not sure because there were two titles to the poll-very confusing?? In that case, no we don't feed any leftovers to our dogs, but they do get as treats(not off of our plates)pnut butter,carrots,apples and oranges. My minpin is absolutely addicted to those little baby carrots and he goes nuts over oranges.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Zoey doesn't get too many "extras" because of her thyroid problem which leads to really easy weight gain. She does get SMALL amounts of leftovers (only like 2-3 bites at most. On rare occasions she is allowed to have extra "nono" foods. Like Saturday she was getting a bunch of doritos during our UFC party xD) and she gets chicken necks 2-3x a week to help with her teeth.

Chance on the other hand eats pretty much anything and every thing. xD He gets left over foods from meals (And like Larhage, I give him whatever is cleaned out from the fridge each week) and "healthy" extras like meats, eggs, yogurt, cheese, ect that I buy for "him". I also sometimes put a little vegetable or olive oil on his kibble. (Plus he gets fish oil daily along with a cranberry pill, vitamin E, ester-C, joint supplement and garlic pill each day) 2-3x a week he gets RMB (mostly pig feet, turkey necks, pork necks and chicken quarters) for dental health even though I do brush his teeth. Anytime we trim meats, he gets all the fat chunks. :) Does wonders for his coat! :D So yeah, my dogs eat quite a bit of human food.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I feed raw so they always get human food. ;) Vala and her kids love fruit so I share that with then. I also give left over cooked veggies or meat scraps and then I use hotdogs, cheese, left over meat and stuff in training.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Cooked chicken, cooked beef, scrambled egg yolks, cheese of all kinds, yogurt, radishes, carrots, peas, squash, zucchini, strawberries, bananas, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, whole dates, peanuts, pretzels, popcorn, tuna...

Honestly, if it's not on my list of foods that are poisonous for dogs, they get to try it. Always as a treat, not as leftovers. I don't believe in feeding my dogs my leftovers because I love leftovers and want them for myself. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
haha I clicked the wrong button I should have put occasionally.
Dodger and Molly get green beans, hot dogs, chicken, sometimes steak, and I haven't given them yogurt yet but I want to give it to them one time. other than that they get no other people food. I mainly used these items and high value treats. I can't give them cheese otherwise they get nasty runny poos. sorry for the visual lol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts