German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught some trout and was wondering if it is okay to feed this to my 1 year old gsd? The fish are gutted and heads cut off and there are no spikey fins

I put them in the freezer for 2 weeks to kill any bad stuff and I’ll feed them as a treat or meal replacement. Anything wrong with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Yes, go ahead.
I used to feed trout to one of my previous dogs, even with the head and guts.


Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
I'd freeze for at least three weeks to kill off parasites. I would also double check for an advisories for the body of water you got the fish from. You should be able to go to the DEC website for your state and check and see if the fish are rated as safe to eat. For me if fish are not rated as safe to eat by women and children I do not feed to my dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Salmonella is why...though it's pretty easy to treat and your dog usually can only get it once.
I thought you guys were going to say Fukushima. :wink2:

I didn't know you only get Salmonella once. I am going to have to do some reading on that!

Salmonella is only in the PNW?

Thanks for the info! I learn something new every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,417 Posts
I didn't know you only get Salmonella once. I am going to have to do some reading on that!
I said usually because there have been repeat cases, but they're rare! I used to work at a salmon hatchery in the PNW, and everyone who worked there brought their dog to work with them. All of the dogs got Salmonella, or salmon poisoning, but none that I knew personally ever got it again...

Salmonella is only in the PNW?
Salmonella is present in nearly all fish in the PNW, but it gets spread around by seagulls who've eaten the fish too, so it can and does occur outside the PNW. Just not frequently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys. I’m in PA and these are stocked trout. I’ve been feeding them to my dog with no problems at all. I might start buying whole trout at the market to feed my dog occasionally because my frozen ones I caught will be all gone soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
You might want to put it in a dehydrator, that way it isn't raw. When I work at an animal hospital in San Diego, we had dogs come in that very sick from eating trout that was raw and they almost died. Be very careful with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,232 Posts
I said usually because there have been repeat cases, but they're rare! I used to work at a salmon hatchery in the PNW, and everyone who worked there brought their dog to work with them. All of the dogs got Salmonella, or salmon poisoning, but none that I knew personally ever got it again...



Salmonella is present in nearly all fish in the PNW, but it gets spread around by seagulls who've eaten the fish too, so it can and does occur outside the PNW. Just not frequently.
Salmon poisoning is caused when dog consumes raw salmon (or related species) that contains flukes ( Nanophyetus salmincola) that carry bacteria ( Neorickettsia helminthoeca).

The OP is in Pennsylvania where salmon poisoning is not an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Ive fed my dogs fresh caught trout, but I boiled the filets to make a sort of soupy fish stew to pour over their kibble. There was definitely plenty of meaty bits as well. They love it.

Also I’m in the western Carolinas.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top