German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get whole chickens from a hobby farmer. Is there any part of an older chicken that I shouldn't feed? Like the head, stomach with contents, larger bones etc.
The farmer can do the killing and plucking.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I cut it up into quarters.
I feed 1.5 cups kibble in the morning. For the evening I feed a chicken quarter with either 2 sardines or a raw egg or brown rice.

My boy is only 9 months so it won't be wise to give him a whole chicken. Especially considering the ones I get are almost 4pounds.

I have given him whole quail before (feathers and everything) however they only weigh half a pound

·
Super Moderator
18,672 Posts
LB recently got hold of a suicidal rooster and she had managed to eat everything, but the legs and some of the meat (and I think she would have finished that if I hadn't taken it away from her) without a problem other than some rather stinky burps. I did fast her that night and only gave her a very small breakfast the next day. Even an old scrawny rooster is a lot for a 54# dog. I would probably cut up the chicken unless you want to let your dog gorge and then fast him (there are people that feed this way).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts