German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I looked back at a few older posts and there wasn't much of a consensus on which was better health wise. I'm just wondering which method everyone is currently using. Some say one causes bloat while others say it helps prevent it, who knows... I always thought larger dogs should feed from elevated to help on their joints for all those years, maybe I'm way off.

I'm a few months out from a pup and this is one of the many over worried about topics on my list.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado uses a elevated feeder, he prefers it to eating at ground level. The one he has is height adjustable so he was able to use it from 9 weeks on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i think with most people its whatever works best for them and the dog. i have heard that elevated bowls can contribute to bloat. Mine eats from a ground bowl. When I got her as a puppy I didnt know about bloat or much about puppies in general, its just what I picked out and shes always used it. I did have to change from a plastic drinking bowl to a stainless steal because she started having snow nose and my vet said that plastic bowls could contribute to, like an alergy or something.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When I did research on bloat, it states that the elevated feeder should not be used unless directed by a vet. I don't know and don't remember the reasons. =(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
To me, it just makes more sense to feed them on the ground, the way they would eat naturally.

I feed prey model raw, though, and it seems silly to imagine that if they were catching their own prey they would have to look around for a table to set it on before they eat it :crazy:

And actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I hand mine about 90% of their food, and they put it on the ground to eat it themselves.

I guess if there'a a health reason to raise their food...but otherwise, why?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dogs eat both ways. I think one of the bigger things with bloat is how fast they consume their food, mine are the slowest eaters on the planet Earth.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I use an elevated feeder because Jazz prefers it. Both my dogs eat slowly and I don't exercise them immediately after eating.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My dogs eat both ways. I think one of the bigger things with bloat is how fast they consume their food, mine are the slowest eaters on the planet Earth.
LOL lucky! we got a special dish with obstacles... he gets so mad at it and tries to kill it after each meal.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
elevated feeder

Fiona eats from an elevated feeder, because if the bowl is on the ground she tries to dig to China in it. It was mostly for water. She takes the food out of the bowl, lays it on the floor and then eats it.

I watch for bloat and try to take precautions, but the water on the floor every minute of the day is too much to take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts