German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within a few years WD will be the only dog here as the oldies will have passed.
The Pits I have worked with (never had one personally so don't know the ins and outs completely besides studying and observing them at rescues) have all been great dogs to work with. I like them as a "breed" and there is a good rescue nearby.
WD plays very rough and I have started to think that a female Pit would be a good buddy for him (as long as I don't visit his breeder and meet the new GSD pups).
My concern would be the dog aggression surfacing at one point or maybe not. As pups they are great; easily trained, in tune with people, good with dogs etc.
I am wondering if a Pit pup grows up with dogs from the age of 8 - 10 weeks after adoption, does that lessen the chances for developing dog-dog aggression or is it a given if they are wired like that as the individual dog?
How do they get along with GSDs in general? Would like to hear from those of you who actually live with Pits and GSDs.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I am wondering if a Pit pup grows up with dogs from the age of 8 - 10 weeks after adoption, does that lessen the chances for developing dog-dog aggression or is it a given if they are wired like that as the individual dog?
My experience has been that the pittie is fine with the individual dogs that it's grown up with since puppyhood, particularly if they're opposite genders, but can still become aggressive toward strange dogs as an adult.

My sister has a female pittie who used to be "siblings" and great friends with my male GSD mix Pongu. The pittie developed dog aggression around age 2 (which is a common age for that to happen), but always remained friendly to my dog and the other dogs that she'd grown up around, particularly the male ones.

Pretty much the same pattern has held true among the other dog-aggressive pitties that I've encountered. They're generally okay with familiar, friendly dogs that they grew up around. Occasionally they develop intolerances to other family dogs of the same gender, but this doesn't seem to happen too often.

And of course some pitties never grow up to be dog aggressive at all!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
It's a dog to dog thing. More than likely the female would not develop DA towards a dog she lives with. But its always a chance, and with pits its a higher chance than with other dog breeds. The age at which you get a dog doesn't matter much...in fact, it might be safer to adopt an older dog that you know isn't DA. A puppy...any breed...can go either way.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a female apbt who I got as a two year out of control beast. She was an animal killer and was not supposed to go to a home with dogs, cats or kids. It took work but she is awesome with my dogs and any dog I bring home. She can get over excited when meeting a dog on the street, would be considered dog aggressive in certain circumstances but in a controlled, home environment she is fine with any dog I have exposed her to.
Apbt's do sometimes develop DA as they age, but often gsd's do too. It is worse in the game bred lines. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, my girl gets along great with my other dogs and I have not had any issues in the 8 years I have owned her (except for when I first adopted her of course). Don't expect to have a dog that you can take to any dog park at any time but they are wonderful family dogs :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
:wub: Mikelia:wub: what a beautiful picture, I love how they are sitting so nicely together..

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
It is going to completely depend on the dog. Doing a ton of socialization and living with other dogs will HELP REDUCE the intensity of dog aggression or liklihood if it's there. IME, one that is raised with dogs (especially opposite genders) may become selectively aggressive (it is not commonly complete dog aggression with socialization) with others upon maturity (2-3 years) but live just fine with their pack in their house.

In general, Pits play well with GSDs. I have one Pit Bull right now and have had him for a year. I grew up with Pits and Chows, and have fostered a handful or so of Pitties and worked in rescue for years.

I would see how puppies are playing with other puppies before picking one if you go the puppy rescue route, and look for those that will back off and aren't constantly aggressing and pinning each other. I just placed a very dominant/aggressive pit puppy who was taking down my full grown pit and GSD at 5 weeks old, easily. You can tell when puppies are playing those that are going to be more dominant/potential for issues or not. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions when it comes down to finding a Pittie. I rescued mine from Animal Control without knowing ANYTHING about him and only meeting him once, and he turned out absolutely fantastically, but I realize that I got VERY lucky.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
IME it is something that often comes with maturity, so another option would be to adopt a mature dog whose temperament is known and has not shown dog aggression.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I've had a few Bully breeds here, and haven't had any serious problems when it comes to the other dogs. We did have a female Pit here who got a little bitchy with the other females, but it was easily managed. I personally would get an adult who is more settled with their temperament.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IME it is something that often comes with maturity, so another option would be to adopt a mature dog whose temperament is known and has not shown dog aggression.
I know a 3 year old non-DA dog is the safest route or a soft litter pup.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts