German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am SO tired of Rocky using the bathroom inside. We go out EVERY 30 minutes without fail. Go to the SAME spot and wait outside for atleast 15 minutes with NO distractions. Half the time he won't use the bathroom then will use it the second we are inside. The other half he will use it outside then use it within five minutes inside. He DOESN'T have a urinary infection (already got it checked out).

If we are in a room with a door, we will cry at the door and scratch and then run to the back door to potty like a good boy! Then i fawn over him and treat him when he goes outside and then he gets to play outside for a little while as an added reward (live at an apartment).

However, if we are in an open area (downstairs at a house) where the only door is the backdoor, he will pee and poop INSIDE without whining, sniffing, or looking at the backdoor.Today he was playing with a toy and then with no warning looked at me and peed then continued playing (wasn't close enough to drag him outside to finish). We then went outside where he sniffed around but didn't pee again.

Sometimes I feel like he does it on purpose for attention, sometimes on purpose so he can go outside, and sometimes I think he is just retarded (and then I feel bad for thinking that because he is SO SMART at everything else!) He can sit, stay, come, lay down, roll over, play dead, up, and off. But he can't freaking use the bathroom outside if we are in an open area!!

I have been really patient but he is four months old now! He is getting neutered in a few months but I don't think this will help, because I do not think that he is doing it to mark territory.

Does anyone have a similiar situation or some positive advice?

As mentioned before, he doesn't have an infection, already got checked. He will tell me needs to go if we are in an enclosed room.

I am at my boyfriends parent's house and they bitch at me even though their dog wasn't house trained until it was 1 year!!(I understand it is their house but I clean up EVERYTHING and there are no stains).

Tired of being embarrassed and tired of having to leave Rocky in his kennel or follow him like a stalker since he won't stay in one room.

PS: Tonight we went on a 2 mile walk and he peed twice, then I took him in the backyard and he didn't pee. Then we walk inside and I'm talking to my future father in law and he pees!!!!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I guess I'm a bit confused. You said in the thread about him not being allowed to your familys house for xmas that he was housetrained.

So is this a new problem or one that's been going on since puppyhood (which is what is sounds like, given that you said you've tried to be patient but he's 4 months old now).

An ongoing problem vs one that just started indicate seperate issues and IMHO seperate resolutions.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hey look on the bright side, at least he's not peeing ON you! I have a lab who has an ongoing issue with sheepishly walking up to me and our house guests, lifting his leg on us and running away. He also on occasion will use me as a peeing post when we are out in the yard. Now THAT is frustrating. He was neutered at 6 months old, and he also has just started humping so I would vote NO, neutering won't help. It has never done anything for me and my dogs as far as marking/humping.

Your puppy is still young and neither of my dogs were housebroken FULLY until about 6 months as to where I could actually trust them to be out and not watched 24/7. 4 months is still pretty young, and there will still be accidents. He's in the process of learning and one day, probably soon, it will just click with him. If you cannot keep him in reach or keep an eye on him, put him in his crate. Try keeping him leashed next to you. Also, he seems confused as to where to go if he's not in a room with a door, you said downstairs at A house. Could he be confused if he is not at home as to where to go potty? If he is doing it in your house, I would practice going from the room without a door, all the way outside to his spot so he knows exactly how to get there, and that being in a different room doesn't mean he can't get outside. Try leashing him to go out in that room and walking through the house to the door and out to his spot. Just a thought. Good luck, housebreaking is a chore, and co existing within the home with animal poo and pee is definately no fun.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'm kind of confused about the different locations in your message. Is he housebroken at your apartment but not housebroken at your boyfriend's parents' house?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sometimes I feel like he does it on purpose for attention, sometimes on purpose so he can go outside, and sometimes I think he is just retarded (and then I feel bad for thinking that because he is SO SMART at everything else!) He can sit, stay, come, lay down, roll over, play dead, up, and off. But he can't freaking use the bathroom outside if we are in an open area!!

Does anyone have a similiar situation or some positive advice?

As mentioned before, he doesn't have an infection, already got checked. He will tell me needs to go if we are in an enclosed room.

I am at my boyfriends parent's house and they bitch at me even though their dog wasn't house trained until it was 1 year!!(I understand it is their house but I clean up EVERYTHING and there are no stains).

Tired of being embarrassed and tired of having to leave Rocky in his kennel or follow him like a stalker since he won't stay in one room.

PS: Tonight we went on a 2 mile walk and he peed twice, then I took him in the backyard and he didn't pee. Then we walk inside and I'm talking to my future father in law and he pees!!!!
Nice, I was having kind of the same problem with my pup (8 weeks on the 13th) so I know where you're coming from.

After a while I noticed he would do that because he wanted to be outside and play. So I just left him outside (took a day) and let him get bored and that seemed to help with his behavior.

It won't hurt to give it a shot if you live in a home or have a place where he can play without running out into the street.

When I take my dog outside I just ask him to "go pee pee" or "go poop". It doesn't even take a minute for him to take care of his business. I just stand there until he's completely done. Once he's done he just walks next to me, sits on his butt and stares at me and then we go inside.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sometimes it takes physical activity for a dog to work up to voiding it's bladder or bowels.

It's easy to make the mistake of going to a specific spot in the yard [which isn't a bad idea in terms of consistency] and standing around waiting for the dog to do it's thing.
You mention he peed twice on your walk, which may indicate that he simply needs to play a round of fetch or take a stroll around the block to work up the urge to potty.

With that said, you also bring up some other issues- the most notable being that another dog lived in the house and was not housebroken for quite some time.
If those spots were not cleaned with a cleaner designed to break down the urine/feces on an enzyme level, the smell is still detectable to your dog. He may be smelling that. Regardless, make sure you're cleaning any new accidents with a cleaner designed for the task- regular household cleaners will remove the visible signs, but a dog's very sensitive nose can still smell it, and trouble ensues.

What you're describing really sounds like a combo of these two issues, especially since he seems to indicate his need when in a room, but not when in the common areas of the house, which are most likely where the previous dog had it's accidents.

I would tether the dog to you for now when he isn't crated. It will save you the trouble of having to "follow him like a stalker", and prevent him from going to those spots that I suspect smell like the lawn to him.

Perhaps as both a gesture of goodwill, and a potential fix to the problem, you can offer to rent a carpet cleaner and clean the carpet with a enzymatic cleaner?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree with what alot of the other posters are saying, 4 months is still young, if he's not in his crate I would leash him to me, he follows me I don't follow him, and I've noticed the younger the dog they need to go to the bathroom after any type of play or exercise so maybe he needs more exercise outside for him to go. not just going to the spot. even if you are outside 15 minutes with him he may need to be walking or playing instead of just looking for a spot.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
4 months is not young with regard to housetraining. A GSD should be housetrained easily by 3 - 3.5 months. I assume you are catching him at it, saying NO emphatically and carrying him out IMMEDIATELY. That is the only way you can effectively and quickly housetrain a pup. You don't have to be mean, just QUICK and you must catch him at it. That worked perfectly for my dog who only had 1 mistake of each kind and I assume that my dog was no smarter than the average GSD (which is very smart). She was 3 months old.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
((He isn't allowed at my boyfriends aunts, grandparents, or my parents house. However, he is allowed at my boyfriend's parents house :) ))

Sorry for the confusion. This is only a problem at home when my boyfriend or my boyfriend's roommate are home. I just asked my boyfriend about it because I assumed he was doing what I told him to do (quickly catch him, take him outside, and let him finish out there) and apparently the two of them aren't doing what I asked. (The pup is mine and my boyfriends, so it is a joint responsibility. I am not asking him to watch MY dog, it is OUR dog) If I am taking a shower, working out, working, and it is "their turn" to watch Rocky, my boyfriend just said that they just let him finish his business inside and then scold him. No wonder he is confused! Wish I would have asked earlier!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts