German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email a few days ago that it was time for Allie's physical and fecal float test. We have had her a year now almost.

We have not had one done on Kelso (his 2 yr exam will be in October) and I really cannot remember Meeka doing a fecal float test. While I understand what it is and what it tests for...I think..I just wanted to know if anyone else has this done at their vet annually and what they think.

There is a thread now about what to ask for at annual exams and I didnt want to hijack that thread, so I thought I would ask here: What does your vet do at standard annual exams (blood tests, UA)? on a regular basis

Just curious
Thanks

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Gracie has a fecal done twice a year because she takes the straight Heartgard pills, not the Plus version that has the dewormers in it. Where I work we do them on an annual basis. I think it's a good idea, you never know if your dog has picked up parasites somewhere along the way. We can't see them (not all of them anyway) with the naked eye. It's a test worth the money, in my opinion.

As far as other standard annual things - fecal, heartworm test, and I think that's it. Once a dog becomes a senior, where I work they do blood work annually.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I usually decline the fecal test annually unless there is a sign of something. I use to do it, but I found I was paying $40 a test only to have it negative each time.

When I order Revolution for the dogs they always send me a free wormer with it so I just use that.

I do however do the heartworm test annually.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I have done a fecal this year (the vet was concerned, since I feed raw, blabla). It's been the first time for my dogs since they were puppies (my Lab is 8yrs, GSD 4yrs). Both came back negative- of course
. I'm not going to do another fecal again, until I think they might actually have worms.
My dogs (and cat) don't get any type of wormer or pesticides.
The only thing we do at the yearly visit is the regular exam and HW test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts