German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vet found no evidence of parasites or Giardia. She is putting Mia on an antibiotic just to be safe. Mia has her regular appointment on Friday. We'll go from there.

On a good note, she had no accidents in the house or her crate last night.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Have you considered giving her a good probiotic? Has she been tested for EPI?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered giving her a good probiotic? Has she been tested for EPI?
This all just started Thursday but she doesn't have any other symptoms of EPI other than diarrhea. Her appetite is still normal as well as her water intake, and no weight loss. Her stool was a little better this morning but pudding like. She had a good stool last night before we went to bed. I have been giving her plain lowfat yogurt. I will definitely discuss EPI and probiotics with my vet on Friday if she isn't showing improvement.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Yogurt doesn't have a high enough culture count to be effective. I would get her a good probiotic to supplement with, until a couple weeks after she is done with her antibiotic.

I've seen "stabilized" and "coated" probiotics but am not sure of the difference. I think dogs need the coated probiotics to withstand their stomach acids.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I myself would have no problem with giving probiotics and digestive enzymes to a German Shepherd just because they are a GSD. They are a breed that can have sensitive guts and low functioning pancreases even without a clinical level of EPI diagnosis.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that. Will remember that next time.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts