German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the most fitting place for this post, but, anyone consider white ones 'rare'?

Is this a not so good thing, though how many of the non-dog-owning community purchas dog world anyway.

I just seem to have an aversion to rare colors, etc, as people will use them as selling points.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I don't see them as rare, personally, but I know that some people don't know they exist in that color. But I was reading a post where someone said that someone didn't think their GSD was purebred because he had a black mask. LOL

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If you compare them with the number of black and tans registered they might be considered rare but the number of whites registered with the AKC is similar to the number of black & red, black and sable dogs.

Here's a link with some AKC registration numbers for the GSD. It's not complete (missing years, see both charts) but you get a pretty good picture of which dogs are really "rare" as far as registration goes. (blues and livers and more recently...."other", whatever that means)

American White Shepherd Association

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't see them as rare, personally, but I know that some people don't know they exist in that color. But I was reading a post where someone said that someone didn't think their GSD was purebred because he had a black mask. LOL

That was mine. :D The guy thought Jericho was a mix becaus he has a black mask. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
You didn't elaborate what DOG WORLD had to say about the WGSD being a "rare breed" ... was it in an article? an ad? a heading?

The WGSD "breed" is nothing more than a GSD which of course isn't rare. The color white isn't rare either despite the conformation DQ for the color. As far back as I can remember, the WGSD clubs I've been associated with have always frowned on the WGSD being called "rare"! They're simply GSDs with a white colored coat.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If you could elaborate on what the article was actually about, that would be really helpful. Are they talking about the White German Shepherd being shown as a separate breed in the ARBA (rare breed) shows? Is that where the word "rare" comes in?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have only seen one white GSD in person and he had a horrible temperment.

I guess I would consider them rare because I never see any.

I think it is bad though to say they are rare because more and more people will want a "rare" dog and thats when white GSD BYB's will pop up all over the place, they will only be breeding for color and not temperment and that's when we will end up with more poorly bred, unhealthy and aggressive GSD's.

I personally am not attracted to white GSD's and will never own one.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
The WGSD "breed" is nothing more than a GSD which of course isn't rare. The color white isn't rare either despite the conformation DQ for the color. As far back as I can remember, the WGSD clubs I've been associated with have always frowned on the WGSD being called "rare"! They're simply GSDs with a white colored coat.
I know this can be a touchy subject but it's not hard to see why some believe the whites are rare.

Using the data I have: (17 years AKC statistics)
62% of all the GSD's registered with the AKC were Black & Tan.
6% were white.
That would indicate at least statistically, that the whites are rare.

The whites can be shown in rare breed shows. Again, that indicates at least on the surface, that the whites are rare. The general public doesn't investigate why the whites are shown as a rare breed, they just see that they are and draw their own conclusions.

The whites can't be shown in the AKC ring so the general public isn't as familiar with them. The perception is, that they are rare.

There are several clubs dedicated to the whites. The AWSA, WGSDCA, WGSC, UWSC...probably forgetting some. The general public (again) is going to see this as an indication that white German shepherds are somehow different from the GSD. Add this to the numbers of them registered and again...not hard to see why some people believe they're rare.

Genetically, whites shouldn't be rare and I think that's what bothers some of us. The implication is that because white is a DQ in the breed standard, there's something wrong with the white GSD's, or, that white only occurs occasionally. All wrong of course, but that's an entirely different discussion.

We have less whites because breeders aren't using them in their breeding programs. It's a man made shortage. But you can't argue with statistics...6% of anything is rare...or at least not as common. The point can be debated until the cows come home but it shouldn't come as a surprise that white is considered rare.

·
Registered
514 Posts
People always ask me what Remy is... I say a GSD. They say...'WHITE?!?'. I say, yes. They say, are they rare? I say, you don't see many white shepherds because the color white is a fault in the AKC ring so most people don't breed them. I then go on to say that there are other venues that accept white in the show ring.

Selective breeding can make anything rare.

I think if you look at Mother Nature, you will see that wolves or foxes, for instance, come in all different colors depending on their environment. Go to the arctic, you will see more white animals, the desert, more black and tan.

We are products of environmental evolution.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hmmm rare? I personaly dont think so. My first GSD was a white female whom we named Judah. Since then i have seen MANY GSD's with the whie coat. If my female wasnt spayed, and was to have a litter, she probably would have a white GSD or more. She carries the White Gene. :] Anyways, I have seen it go both ways. Some BYB or even good local Breeders themselves either have them cheaper or mark the prices up remarkably!!! I do not care for color (ofcourse i have my favorites) but Number one priority is temperment and drive. Ill pay good money for a white german shepherd who has the right drive and temperament i am looking for.

·
Registered
596 Posts
People always ask me what Remy is... I say a GSD. They say...'WHITE?!?'. I say, yes..
haha i used to get that with my white GSD in the past.
Now i get it with my bicolor male.
Stranger: "I know he is part black lab... but what else is he mixed with..."
Me: "REALLY?! lol"

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I think it is bad though to say they are rare because more and more people will want a "rare" dog and thats when white GSD BYB's will pop up all over the place, they will only be breeding for color and not temperament and that's when we will end up with more poorly bred, unhealthy and aggressive GSD's.

I personally am not attracted to white GSD's and will never own one.
We already have too many BYB's for all colors, that ship has sailed.

When you talk about breeding for color it can be complicated. Look at the different lines..is it an accident that we see black & reds showing up in one line more than another? How about blacks or the sables? There are virtually no whites in many lines...how does this happen if it's a naturally a occurring color in the GSD?

Genetically, breeders know what colors to expect when they use a sire and dam. If you eliminate the possibility of a color showing up in the line, the absence of a color, isn't this still breeding for color in a roundabout way?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
We already have too many BYB's for all colors, that ship has sailed.

When you talk about breeding for color it can be complicated. Look at the different lines..is it an accident that we see black & reds showing up in one line more than another? How about blacks or the sables? There are virtually no whites in many lines...how does this happen if it's a naturally a occurring color in the GSD?

Genetically, breeders know what colors to expect when they use a sire and dam. If you eliminate the possibility of a color showing up in the line, the absence of a color, isn't this still breeding for color in a roundabout way?
Yes, I agree but if there is more and more talk of white GSD's being rare then more and more white GSD BYB's will pop up and create an even bigger problem.

Kinda like when the movie 101 Dalmations came out, more and more people were looking to get one of those spotted beauties so more and more BYB's started popping up and they created alot of badly bred Dalmations.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'd just like to say this:

It is rare to find a red and white, blond and white, and pure white siberian husky. However, you don't see "Red and White" siberian huskies as one whole breed. They fit into the breed "Siberian husky", despite color as they should.

I totally disagree with the thought that there should be a variation of a breed or a whole other breed just because of color.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts

It is rare to find a red and white, blond and white, and pure white siberian husky. However, you don't see "Red and White" siberian huskies as one whole breed. They fit into the breed "Siberian husky", despite color as they should.

I totally disagree with the thought that there should be a variation of a breed or a whole other breed just because of color.
I do not think that white Siberian Huskys are rare, I had a white Siberian Husky pup and I personally know 2 other people with white husky's and have seen several white husky's being walked. I would however say that it is more common to see black/white Huskys over all other colors.

·
Registered
514 Posts

This doesn't really relate to what the OP posted, but I feel the need to respond.

What you say may be true in your example, but not in every case.

Take the Belgian Shepherds for example, should these four breeds be the same breed, or separate?

Below Quotes from American Kennel Club - Belgian Malinois

"One of the four types of Belgian sheepherding dogs, the Belgian Malinois is an alert, high-energy breed, popular as both a police and military working dog."

"A Look Back
Developed in the city of Malines, where it got its name, the Malinois shares a common foundation with the Belgian Sheepdog and the Belgian Tervuren. In fact, the Belgian dogs share a breed standard in all countries except the United States. The original breeders prized the Malinois’ working character, and historically, the breed has been the favorite type of Belgian Shepherd in its native country."

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo's father is a white shepherd. His mother is a black and tan. I guess that makes Hondo bi-racial.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Go to the arctic, you will see more white animals, the desert, more black and tan.
Isn't that kind of strange when you think about it? It seems to be related to camouflaging the animal from predators and that makes sense, but black animals in the desert? Everyone knows when it's hot you should wear white! ;)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
They're not rare...they're a fault in normal German Shepherd lines. I love White GSD'S, I think they're really pretty, but I wouldn't consider them or encourage the general population to start calling them "rare". "White German Shepherd" isn't a breed...it's a color. Kinda like calling a Palomino horse a breed when in fact, it's a COLOR.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts