German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abby is 9 weeks old. We picked her up 10 days ago. When we brought her home I immediately started potting training her. We have big dogs on both sides of our house. She is deathly afraid of the dogs barking. When I take her out and she hears them, she starts freaking out and wants to go back inside. I need advise on this. I’ve got to get her over this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How does she get along with them when they are not barking? I would hold her in your arms when you walk out with her to have her feel a sense of security and if she hears the dogs barking, maybe give her a squeeze to show her that you are there. After you put her down, stay near her and when she starts freaking out, pick her up again so she can start getting used to the loud barks. I think eventually she will be okay and will need less reassurance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm on the other end of the training spectrum. I would be worried that cudddling, squeezing and carrying your pup when she is nervous could reinforce the nervous behaviour. I would take her out back on a leash (so she can't run back to the door. Then try to get her to engage a little, sniffing and looking for a place to go to the bathroom. When the other dogs bark, I would act like nothing happened. You might try redirecting her, call her to you, give her a treat, ask her to sit, give her a treat, then go back to sniffing around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts