German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a female german shepherd dog that's soon to be 9 months old. I adopted her when she was a month old and I am aware that it was a mistake. I live in the front of a street that is very noisy and crowded. my dog's name is Chloe, She was doing fine when she was 3 months old and took treats when I took her outside, I gave her basic obedience training and she was doing great. When she was 4 months old, I took her to a dog park, a few dogs there were aggressive and they often bullied Chloe because she would stick to me and would not leave my side, they would chase and her and she used to be afraid of the dogs so the dogs would just attack her, i stopped taking her at the dog park after that. I took her again to the dog park a few days ago, now she would attack other dogs, she is still afraid of them but doesn't seem to back out. I can't train her with other dogs because people don't seem to train their dogs and so their dogs are reactive as well, I don't know any person that has a big dog like mine and would allow to walk along with me and there are street dogs too that come and go independently. She often goes at the window and bark at anyone randomly, she barks when the house bell is rung. When I take her outside, she would bark at strangers that act like they're afraid of her, or randomly anyone that's passing by, or she would quickly pull herself back in a scared manner if someone even draws out a bag or does an action unfamiliar to her. She is so scared and alert that biscuit treats don't matter to her on the walk, she never takes a treat outside and that's another reason why I'm unable to train her. At the walk, she often stops and keeps her hands on my belly and it ends up hurting me or making my clothes dirty. she doesn't play much in the park and sits on the bench after a while. She would pick the ball that I throw and then when she comes back, she drops it in the way and there's no other toy that fetches her interest more than that. She is very scared and reactive outside, is anyone else out there that has gone through the same problem? What should I do? I have tried training her in every way possible but it. doesn't get better and I'm not ready to leave my dog. Please, help!

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
i’ve updated your heading to be more specific.... should help get replies.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Treats won't work if she is already emotional. Could you imagine being surprised by a spider, or snake or whatever scares you and then having someone offer you a cupcake? You might say, " Thanks, I'll have that later. Right now I have to deal with this monster!?" I doubt you'd say, "Oh yummy cupcake and forget about the threat looming nearby" .

So start showing her routines and behaviors in your home. Play small games of ball in the house to show her how you want her to play. Roll the ball, encourage her to bring it all the way to you and then treats! She will be more likely to co-operating knowing that home is a safe place. And be patient. It will take time for her to learn that the routine of your game of ball are the same in the house and in the yard.

Avoid the dog park. Not all dogs do well in dog parks. Once your dog learns that when you are together she is safe, she'll get more confidence and you will both enjoy our outings more.

And get some face to face help. The reading of your dog's body language, the way you speak to your dog through your body language, the timing of corrections and rewards are all things we have a hard time seeing in ourselves. A good mentor is valuable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Treats won't work if she is already emotional. Could you imagine being surprised by a spider, or snake or whatever scares you and then having someone offer you a cupcake? You might say, " Thanks, I'll have that later. Right now I have to deal with this monster!?" I doubt you'd say, "Oh yummy cupcake and forget about the threat looming nearby" .

So start showing her routines and behaviors in your home. Play small games of ball in the house to show her how you want her to play. Roll the ball, encourage her to bring it all the way to you and then treats! She will be more likely to co-operating knowing that home is a safe place. And be patient. It will take time for her to learn that the routine of your game of ball are the same in the house and in the yard.

Avoid the dog park. Not all dogs do well in dog parks. Once your dog learns that when you are together she is safe, she'll get more confidence and you will both enjoy our outings more.

And get some face to face help. The reading of your dog's body language, the way you speak to your dog through your body language, the timing of corrections and rewards are all things we have a hard time seeing in ourselves. A good mentor is valuable.
Thank You but it's more like we play a lot in the house than outside, I mean we're playing mostly in the house. I avoid the dog park, I don't take her there, I'd rather take her on walks but just that the stray dogs won't stop barking.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
then work on it bit by bit. It will take time. Rejoice in the small victories and you teach your dog that the games on one side of the door can be fun on the other side of the door too.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
747 Posts
This piece of advice is huge. I’ve had dogs for 50 years and really don’t need a trainer. However we still go to one, they help adjust my timing and technique to the way my dog is responding. Last trainer even had me change my tone of voice when praising.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
my gal-dog had an issue that I thought I struggled with. I told our new trainer that I didn't need to teach sit, down, stay, etc. I just needed to teach my dog to work near other dogs and stay calm. So back to that problem I was having. The trainer watched me, suggested a small change and it made a huge difference! It can take someone Outside ourselves to see what we can't see clearly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a female german shepherd dog that's soon to be 9 months old. I adopted her when she was a month old and I am aware that it was a mistake. I live in the front of a street that is very noisy and crowded. my dog's name is Chloe, She was doing fine when she was 3 months old and took treats when I took her outside, I gave her basic obedience training and she was doing great. When she was 4 months old, I took her to a dog park, a few dogs there were aggressive and they often bullied Chloe because she would stick to me and would not leave my side, they would chase and her and she used to be afraid of the dogs so the dogs would just attack her, i stopped taking her at the dog park after that. I took her again to the dog park a few days ago, now she would attack other dogs, she is still afraid of them but doesn't seem to back out. I can't train her with other dogs because people don't seem to train their dogs and so their dogs are reactive as well, I don't know any person that has a big dog like mine and would allow to walk along with me and there are street dogs too that come and go independently. She often goes at the window and bark at anyone randomly, she barks when the house bell is rung. When I take her outside, she would bark at strangers that act like they're afraid of her, or randomly anyone that's passing by, or she would quickly pull herself back in a scared manner if someone even draws out a bag or does an action unfamiliar to her. She is so scared and alert that biscuit treats don't matter to her on the walk, she never takes a treat outside and that's another reason why I'm unable to train her. At the walk, she often stops and keeps her hands on my belly and it ends up hurting me or making my clothes dirty. she doesn't play much in the park and sits on the bench after a while. She would pick the ball that I throw and then when she comes back, she drops it in the way and there's no other toy that fetches her interest more than that. She is very scared and reactive outside, is anyone else out there that has gone through the same problem? What should I do? I have tried training her in every way possible but it. doesn't get better and I'm not ready to leave my dog. Please, help!
hi, I have a 16 wk old girl gsd. She is great with training in the house and back garden but so fearful outside in front garden and on the mini walks I’ve done. She is so alert to everything and barks at dogs and people, she has not had a bad experience. And like your gal she is no way interested in treats as in such a intense state. I’m taking it really slowly and only going down my road to a grass area and allowing her to watch other dogs and activities from a distance. I just read on another post about making those things sort of become a background thing, just carry on with what you are doing.
For being the leader and making her feel safe a guy called Nigel Reed has some great videos on you tube. How have things been recently for you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts