German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

we have a beautiful over 1 yrs old GSD . She is well mannered ( usually) and a nice sweet dog. I socialized her alot as a pup so she likes most people and other animals too. But she had an issue when I tried to leave her for grooming at about 6 months. She was afraid and acted aggressively by snapping while crated etc. More recently she has growled and showed her teeth at the vet not for the visit but during a blood draw after yelping like it hurt. I was there this vet was always patient with her lots of treats etc. but this visit just didn't go well :(
She has on one other occasion was younger and became very afraid of a different vet that charged in and hovered over her and she barked up a storm we never went back there... lastly she went off barking ( I wasnt there) when someone tried to do her nails was at a grooming place. I don't think it was the nails but she is scared at grooming places ... anyway the vet now wants to premedicate her prior to appointments. I think she is trying to turn down my dogs anxiety so things don't get worse
what do you think is this a usual vet response. Is this fear aggression that my dog is showing and can this get worse?? Once the vet stopped my dog was back to herself and all sweet again..
any advice appreciated

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I don't think it is fear aggression, but I do think she is acting this way because it hurts :( At the groomer, I suspect when her nails were clipped, they cut into the quick on one nail. So, of course, she didn't want to stay there. At the vet's, during a blood draw, that can hurt. For what to do, a good precaution, would be to get her used to a muzzle - that way if she acts nervously, you can put that on her so that should reassure the vet and the groomer. I would stay with her at both places and stand by her head - put your hand on her collar and feed her high value treats during the nervous parts. For example, I have high value treats, and when the vet is checking my Sting's eyes with the light, I am holding his collar and feeding treats - I have him concentrate on the treat - hold it in front of his nose, then give it. I also do the same when he is feeling for bumps and so on. For your vet, I suspect prior bad experiences with gsds. So the vet is now anxious and your dog will pick up on that. I would almost consider starting over with a new vet .

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Try a new vet that will allow you to bring the dog in for playtime for months before the next exam visit. There are vets who will do that if they aren't too busy. If something negative happens every time your dog goes to the vet, why would she like going? I would stop using groomers if you can clip her nails yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts