German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 17 week old gsd Zoey and just recently she has started showing some different behaviors. She no longer wants to go for walks or will get half way down the road and turn and come back. Also, last night we took her to petsmart and she got nervous and barked going in the doors and once inside she barked at everyone she saw. She has never done this before and she normally loves going there. I know this is a fear stage but my question is how do we deal with these situations. My husband took her out to the car while I shopped because we weren't sure what to do, we didn't want to force her to walk around in there and it was very loud and embarrassing! She starts obedience class next Wednesday!
Thanks

·
2,967 Posts
When my pups go through fear stages, I don't give in to their fears. I also don't try anything new or scary that they haven't done before. I try to act like there is nothing going on and I keep walking. I don't stop, and I don't address the pup apart from a quick "let's go." Any sort of soothing can actually make the situation worse. I don't wait for them to come, I just go. And sometimes they fall because they're not coordinated enough to focus on whatever they're barking at and move with me...tough. Natural consequence for not paying attention to Mom. I will drag them for a few feet, then let them find their feet again and repeat "let's go". The instant they stop barking and start following me, I stop and treat and praise them. They start barking...we start moving. I want them focused on me and the things we do together and NOT the environment. I would also move my pup to the back aisle of PetsMart and start working on some of the obedience things we do at home...sit, look, down, etc. And if she's too nervous or distracted to work, they just treating her in the back of the store could be good. And use REALLY good treats. I like chicken, cheese, steak, etc.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Excellent advice! I'd do exactly what JKlatsky suggested. Ignore it as best you can, act like Zoey is behaving perfectly and she'll get the confidence she needs from you. If you cringe when she does, she'll think she was doing the right thing. Have patience, this will pass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice, we will definitely give those things a try. Do you think that obedience class is a bad idea right now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts