German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 16 week old gsd Zoey and when we take her on walks she does really well until she sees someone or another animal. She will then start barking like crazy and turn around and basically run home. What can I do to fix this? We take her as many places as we can and she meets plenty of people and is fine with them. It is just on walks. We have tried bringing treats with us but she never eats when she is nervous or worked up. Any help would be great :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
First, does she get anxious when you put the leash on her? (if so then there would be a different approach). Assuming that she just panics when she sees someone else, then I would suggest baby steps. Have some tasty treats on hand, and just go outside your front door. She SHOULD be calm standing on her own property. If she is still calm, and taking treats, move a little down the driveway (with hopes of seeing someone walk by). If you start in her comfort zone, and she sees someone, then it'll be easier to work FROM there. Work from the doorstep, to the end of the driveway, then a few yards down the sidewalk. If she has one of her episodes, then go back to the previous point where she was successfully able to cope with seeing someone else without her reaction.

Sounds confusing, but I hope it makes sense!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is fine when we put the leash on her and she loves going outside and on walks. She just gets scared when she sees someone or another dog.

·
Registered
53 Posts
okay, then work from your driveway. have people pass her, while she is still in her comfort zone. Perhaps even have someone hold her while you greet the approaching dog, so she can see that the dog is no threat. She will look to you for guidance and confidence, so her seeing you interact should help her relax a little. See if you can have her still on your property, but at the same time, able to see oncoming pedestrians and their dogs. Even ask someone if they would mind taking a few minutes out of their walk to help you with your situation. More times than not, people are friendly and they wouldn't mind. Reward her for her calm behavior. Have the other person stand a good distance away, so she can still them, but she still responds to your commands, and then have the other person gradually move closer, until you find a reaction point in your dog. Then work from there. It's kind of hard to explain in text, but i hope I am building (somewhat) of good mental image. Let me know if you need further explaination :) I'm glad to help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts