German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rajko is 22 weeks(or 5 months, depending on your math). For what feels like the past couple of weeks, he tends to deeply growl and aggressively bark at certain people, which seems to be at random.

For instance, we were standing in front of a Target recently and while he would not even notice or care about some people walking in, some would see him and even walk near him with no issue, yet all of the sudden he would bark at a person, and later even second person.

Also, we went camping last weekend. It was at a pretty empty campground, and our site was about 100 feet sloped downhill from the road through the campsites. Throughout the day different people would walk along the road. Again, sometimes he would not care at all, sometimes he'd just look at them, and sometimes he'd growl or let out a few loud barks, moving towards the them even. Young, old, male, female...all types of people. Again, other random people around the campsite he would go up to wagging his tail and loving attention and petting from.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I have never coddled him when he has shown this type of behavior. Usually I give him a deep and firm "knock it off", but it does not really stop the behavior. I socialized the heck of him between 8-12 weeks especially, and while we go pretty much everywhere together, now that he is bigger he does not get as quite much attention from strangers.

So, the question is... what do I need to do?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Sarge is 4 years old and still does this too. For some reason he just decides he doesnt like someone for whatever reason. On walks I have to carefully watch his body language when we meet new people. Women and kids, theres never a problem, loves the pets and the attention. Its the men he sometimes takes a dislike to. I can tell right away by his posture and body language. His hair stand up and he goes into full alert, if they come too close he growls and barks.

I can control it by heading it off before it gets too far. As soon as I see him start to posture I give him a slight correction with the leash to divert his attention back to me. Then I tell him to... leave it!!! which is the command for a lot of things and I see his posture relax.

The dog needs to know that you decide whos ok and whos not. Then he will take his lead from you, if you let him do it, it could become a real problem later on.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Have you happened to notice if the people he barks at are looking at him vs the ones he doesn't bark at AREN'T looking at him?

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
I think it is a fear stage, he is now more aware of his surroundings and as long as you manage it right, he will grow out of it. Redirect his attention, put him in a sit when he is growling or if sitting, a down(gives him something to think about instead of stranger) Keep up the socialization, it is especially important now. If he isn't in classes get him in one(even if he has gone before to puppy class, just keep going to training). Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts