German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just posted in the welcome mat, here is the reason I was looking in the first place; Koda is 6months old and we have always taken him everywhere with us, he was always fine, then at a bit after 5 mo we went to the pet store and he went CRAZY at some other dogs-two full grown mastiffs by the way, when I apologized to the owner I said he's just pup and he's never done this before! He laughed and said he apparently doesnt know that! That first incident was followed by three others in public places, barking at anything that moved outside our car, the trash cans at the end of the driveway, then we went to a family thing and he met my brothers and uncles dogs, both full grown, intact males, and he did the same thing but he was loose and ran right at them, then back to me, then at them, alternately being submissive, and then his hackles up stiff legged, and barking, then yipping. Thank god they are both good dogs, they just growled a bit and showed teeth, and looked at him like he lost his mind...then after about 5 min he stopped, and 15 minutes later he was fine, the best behaved dog there in fact. Then a couple weeks later we went to another thing and he did the same thing, but it was a dog he had met before, and he was more agressive. He laid down with is toy and jumped up and barked at the other dog when he got to close, in the other dogs yard! My husband says he is being agressive, but doesn't know how because he's still a puppy, and needs to be fixed. Has anybody else had this experience?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
He needs to be socialized more with other dogs.
Brady has never been fixed and is fine with other dogs unless they are agressive.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
The behaviour you describe with your brothers' and uncles' dogs is fear. He may be going through a fear stage, pups have a number of them as they mature. Very important to continue socialization and set him up for positive experiences with other dogs through these stages. Control and direct his interactions with other dogs, don't let him run loose for five minutes going nuts. Be there for him as a back-up and to show him that you are in charge, and nothing bad will happen.

I don't know if you do this, but don't coddle or reassure him, that is a positive, rewarding to him, and he thinks you are going "it's okay, it's okay" to his fear reaction and will only re-inforce it.

Put him on leash, be matter of fact, distract him, praise him for calm, happy behaviour. Don't punish him either (doesn't sound like you have been been correcting him which is good), but don't allow it to go on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I forgot, we have a 2 yr old female beagle, and my inlaws who live next door have a 11 yr old GSD and a 4 yr old St.Bernard and he has never behaved this way with them. The second incident was with a dog he has met before (Bo) and played with all day, next door and he was fine. Where can I socalize him more where people wont look at him like he's going to kill somebody, and at me like what at idiot I am for taking him somewhere. That bothers me too, when he was little everyone wanted to pet him, now people give us a wide berth and he's being good! (Except other people with GSD's) Of course he is 70lbs now, not 20. I guess he is intimidating looking, I just dont see dogs that way I guess.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Originally Posted By: jypsykodaOh, I forgot, we have a 2 yr old female beagle, and my inlaws who live next door have a 11 yr old GSD and a 4 yr old St.Bernard and he has never behaved this way with them. The second incident was with a dog he has met before (Bo) and played with all day, next door and he was fine.
That's the weird thing about fear stages, they don't seem to show fear in a predictable manner. Your puppy does not sound aggressive or fearful overall, he does sound like he is going through some stage.

Originally Posted By: jypsykoda Where can I socalize him more where people wont look at him like he's going to kill somebody, and at me like what at idiot I am for taking him somewhere.
Dog classes!!!! Beginning Agility, or other organized dog training venue! He will have fun, get treats, gain confidence, learn to focus on you, and ignore all those other scary big dogs! A good instructor will be able to help you manage this behaviour and re-direct. Interactions are all on leash, and supervised, and people in classes with young dogs will understand puppies and fear stages!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he would love agility, he loves to get a stick, I throw one, and have another ready, as soon as he gets the fist one he turns and comes back full speed and leaps in the air to get the second one. He drops the first stick when he starts to jump. He loves it! Is it ok to let him jump like that as a pup? I am teaching him to catch a frisbee. I have him sit and stay as I back up and then I throw him the frisbee. I can get across the lawn from him now, and he will catch it. The sticks are still his favorite. I have a woodpiles worth of smooth, bark free sticks all over the place! I did not realize by soothing him I might be reinforcing the craziness! I will be more matter of fact about it from now on, and show him how to act, maybe I have been mistaken, and he is looking more for guidance than reassurance. What about the not letting the other dog near his toy? In the other dogs yard? He was not nice! He was definately acting bossy and domineering. So far everyone he has confronted has backed down, that's probably conditioning him to think if I'm tough, I get to be the boss?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSD
Originally Posted By: Castlemaid Coming soon: Falkor v Wildhaus
Somebody's getting a little land shark...
Oh yeah! Never heard that description before but very accurate image.... I am really glad I'm not that stick! He goes at it with this intense hungry look giving it everything he's got, and he hits that stick hard and fast. Whats it going to be like when he's 100lbs and filled out!
And thank you for the advice, we feel better about it now. It backs up our inklings that we werent listening to because the vet offered to fix him when we took him in at just 5 mo old, reccomended a book about training, and then let us out the back door so we wouldn't have to walk by the other dogs, it made us feel like there was a problem brewing. He is so sweet, and so smart, and so well behaved, I have never met such a good puppy! And he has always been so confident, even in new situations, good to know what is going on is not abnormal! Thanks gsd.com!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Quote:What about the not letting the other dog near his toy? In the other dogs yard? He was not nice! He was definately acting bossy and domineering. So far everyone he has confronted has backed down, that's probably conditioning him to think if I'm tough, I get to be the boss?
Or "if I'm tough the thing that's scaring me goes away!" I doubt he's trying to be boss but he is trying to bluster into getting his own way, so certainly perhaps a little bratty. Yes, guidance and being matter of fact is a great way to look at it and the right attitude to have. When he starts it, rather than soothing him, try to distract him with something incompatible, like a little obedience routine. Something where he can be successful and it takes his mind off the scary thing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am having the SAME problem with our GS Jpsykoda. And he does socialize all the time since he's been 6weeks old. I go to the park usually for an hour every night then our walk. Been doing that till a few weeks ago and he's 9months old now. For the pass 3weeks mr. walks in the park and charges for any dog that he is not use to see in that park. The usual dogs he's seen since he was younger he doesnt do anything to them cause they all put him to his place when he was younger and they become buddies. But the ones he sees once in a while he goes for them. We bring his favourite ball, stick etc. He runs like lighting and comes back with the ball and sometimes pit stops to bring a dog down. So we grab him, make him lay down and he doesnt move. He does listen very well. But lately I would kick the day lights out of him. Yes I know we dont do that and I wouldnt cause I dont believe in hurting any animal. But days man, I would but heh, I will be the one that gets hurt at his size....lol...probably break my toes...at 90lbs dog. I dont know, lately he has a mind of his own. Sees a cat wants to go after it, sees a dog in his way becomes aggressive...So I told my husband you go to the park if you want cause I'm not going anymore. When I see him going wild, I want to ring his neck. Our GS is very territorial, goes the the window checks out who's walking in the park and growls at them. There is NO cat, bird, or any other animals in our yard now. Even the ants are leaving. Hopefully its stages they go through. Cause he is a good puppy and friendly and loves to play. Our neighbour is 80ish and he loves her and plays with her. So he is a good puppy just when it comes to other animals. Mind you the if someone comes to the door he charges for the door and we go after him and make him lay down again and stay.

So it's not just my dog from what Ive read in here and other forums

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, we're not alone! After reading more posts here and there and everywhere I have gleaned that this is pretty much normal stuff and it's going to happen. It's just a matter of redirecting to stop the behavior and teaching him what is acceptable behavior in that situation. Easier said than done but he's fun to work with and we are working on it. Now when I'm playing sticks with him I throw one, and when he does his turn to come back to jump for the second one I tell him to sit and lay down and stay. Then when he has stayed down a minute I tell him ok come get it! And he does. He seems to enjoy it like this, and I am thinking maybe if I can tell him to down when he wants to get that stick, maybe I can eventually get him to down when he wants to run at another dog or whatever else he's after, like the bees!:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
We do that with ours too. When he goes for a dog we grab him right away and make his lay down for a few minutes. But you see in his legs and paws like he's ready to go. Eager beaver. But when my brother comes with his GS its like ours and his we don't exist anymore. All they do is play play and play. Both males not fixed either. They get along so well. But like I said, when you talk to either of them they don't listen anymore. Like they are on another planet. They are still both pups so I know we have to give a bit of play time too. They ain't robots.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on Koda... taking everyones advice we are socializing and trying to teach him in those situations, so when we meet another dog, and even the ones he knows, I hold him close and tell him to sit down and if he barks and lunges he gets a that's enough, stop! When he stops and looks at me, yes, good! All in a firm but matter of fact way. He is getting so he sits and looks at me now, briefly sometimes but he does it. And when he does well I give him tons on praise. Twice now he has none really well. Last week at the park he saw two other dogs there, and he barked a little, but with his tail up and wagging. He was much more interested in following the kids. Yeah! Then yesterday we went to my daughters friends house, they have two jack russels and another small mixed breed, they bark like crazy when you drive in, and Koda barked until I told him that's enough, he looked at me and stopped! They all came out of their fence and ran in circles around the car, and peed on my cars tires, and Koda stuck his head out and whined and barked a little more because he wanted to get out and play, and he got his head stuck... and had to stop barking to get his head unstuck... and he didn't bark anymore maybe because of that, but he did really well I think and I was happy. Even the dogs he knows I have him calm down before I let him greet them, even let them come to him first, and it's making them like him better. I haven't had enough interactions to really judge, if it was just a fear stage from what I have read it may still come and go. But I like that he seems to want to sit and look up at me unasked, to see what I'm going to say. And I praise him for that! He has always done it, but I didn't capitalize on it and I am trying to now which seems to be reinforcing it. It's looking good but like GSDog said, they ain't robots, and he's just a puppy doing what puppies do. Any thoughts? Am I handling this right?
GSDog, we grab Koda and make him lay down too when he's acting undesirable and irrascible and now when I reach for him he just flops over of his own accord,not submissively, I mean really just flops onto his side, and gives me his most charming smile. 'I'm listening and aren't I a handsome devil and don't you just love me?' He's pretty full of himself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts