German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you all know I just recently got a sweet german shepherd girl yesterday evening. She's has seemed to adjust already to her new home. I'm already joking that she and Speedy are boyfriend and girlfriend. They're inseparable now. They've been in one fight so far, which is what I've been dreading. But as soon as I screamed "NAH STOP!", they stopped immediately and looked at me. Other than that, they play nonstop with one another. I've never really had any behavior problems with Speedy around other people, he's very over friendly of everyone. He's not cautious towards anyone.

Anyway, my mom came over yesterday (because she couldn't wait to see my new family member) and Satin, the new Shepherd, was okay with her. Satin kept going towards her, but never really allowed my mom to pet her. Satin went up to her and sniffed her a lot and followed her around a little bit. Two of my friends came over a little while ago today, a girl and a guy. She was kinda cautious with the girl at first but eventually went up to her and sniffed her and let her pet her a little bit. But she would not even go near the guy. She stared at him and whenever he would try to talk to her or call her, she would run in the opposite direction. She didn't even allow him to get within 15 feet of her.

Before she was with me, she was with a guy that I work with that used Cesar Milan's approach, dominance. I know he's done the submission roll (I believe it is called) a couple of times with her. She was with him a couple of months before he had to get rid of her. Before she was with him, he told me that he got her from the pound. The pound told him that she was with a guy that originally got her as a hunting dog, but she didn't do what he wanted her to do, hunt, and he got annoyed with her. I'm not sure how he treated her.

My question is how can I get her used to the idea of being around men? Is it too soon to even have people coming over since I've only had her for a day? I just want her to become socialized around a lot of different people. My parents are coming over this weekend, so I'm hoping she'll see that not all men are bad and can see us all laughing and having fun, and maybe she'll start to open up. Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I would let her settle some before bringing a bunch of people into the house, its very stressful being moved around. Poor girl. Glad you are taking her in.

If/ When your parents come and visit you, have your father do this. (Same goes for any male that comes to visit) When he walks into the room, don't have him look at her, reach for her, walk towards her or anything. He can walk over and have a seat on the couch or chair and talk to you guys, but have him keep his voice and his behaviors calm. Arm him him a powerful weapon, food. Whether it be hotdog, or cooked chicken pieces, make it GOOD! Have him toss her a treat randomly throughout his visit.

Don't expect her to get buddy-buddy already with your dad, but she might make some progress after a few months of this. If she wants attention from your dad, that is fine, but i still wouldn't have him reach out a hand or look directly at her. Some man obviously was cruel to this poor creature and she needs to have her trust in men rebuilt. It may be that she will never like men, or she could be selective about what men she trusts, like your father.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or do you think she's just shy and isn't really fearful of anyone? I may just be reading too much into it. She really wasn't shy though when she first met me. I met her in a neutral location though with her original owner and let her sniff my hand. Then she let me pet her right away and walk her on her leash away from her original owner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GSD Sunshine, I just saw your post. Thanks for the advice. When my friends came over, I told them to ignore her for a couple of minutes. They walked into the living room and sat on the couch. I gave the guy a treat to give her when he was getting ready to leave, and she wouldn't take it from his hand. He threw it on the ground, but she wouldn't go eat it until he walked out of the room and wasn't watching her. That's when I saw her walk up to it and gobble it up. I'll be sure to let my dad know that. I already let him she may be fearful of men and that he was going to be the scapegoat to get her used to men. lol. At what point do you think it would okay for more people to come over? I'm not sure of how long I should wait until she can meet new people. And by the way, she's a 2 1/2 year old Shepherd. I'm not sure I ever told you how old she was.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I will doublt what GSDss says. It's really too early to be pushing her. It could be she's scard of men, but she could also be very stressed out. I would not have people come over for a few more days at least. She needs to settle in and learn to trust you. It sounds like she's been shuffled around quite a bit.

I would say you can know it's ok when she's more relaxed in the house. If she can sprawl out with her belly in the air and take a nap you can try more people.

Here is a good article the BrightStar gives out to all the new adoptees..it's a good read.
BrightStar German Shepherd Rescue, Rochester, NY

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I would wait and see. It takes time for dogs to adjust to a new home and sometimes you don't see their true personality until they are settled in. If it turns out she is scared of men you can work to desensitize her slowly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody is going to be coming over until Fri or Satur evening, and it's going to be a bunch of girls for my girls' night. I may or may not have her upstairs, I may just let her hang outside in the fenced yard. I haven't really made up my mind yet. She has been walking around the house, whining a lot. So maybe I'll wait till the whining ceases before I let her meet anyone else. I took her for a walk today, and she did very excellent on the leash. She stayed on my left and did not pull at all. At a couple of points, she actually walked behind me. With Speedy, it's quite the opposite. He's always the one that wants to lead and we are working on that. I'm trying to get him to the point that Satin is at and then I'm going to try walking them together. Thanks for the article! I'm about to read it now.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Hmmm. I personally think less than a week is a bit too soon to have a girl's night at your house. Keeping her separate is going to stress her because she'll know the people are there. You're not really avoiding what the stressful situation is. But, she might be able to settle in the next few days.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's pictures of her up too under the pictures pictures pictures section under "My new girl Satin! I just got her today!" if anyone wants to see my gorgeous new girl.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Well let us know how your new girl progresses and how she does with guests. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts