German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken Aspen to the dog park, on walks in the "city" and such. He has been great, but it seems recently that he has developed a "fear" of men. He is leery about them until I introduce them. He is doing this with some children as well. He never did it before. Any ideas? He has just turned 5mo. I suppose the idea is to keep taking him out and socializing him. I reduced the socialization during the holidays due to other commitments. I just dont want him to be super fearful. Tomorrow he meets the Shutzhund trainer and I dont want him to be fearful of him.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I don't allow puppies the option of acting on being fearful. If you know he is fearful of men, just pick him up and hand him to men to snuggle while praising him. By taking away the ability to act on it, you decrease their fear and prevent the beginnings of aggression toward the object of their fear.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I went to a training class today to observe. And WOW. OK.,I know what you mean...totally!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
As Elaine said, act like being afraid is silly, laugh out loud and ignore his fear. If you acknowledge it in any way, it re-inforces it.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I have taken Aspen to the dog park, on walks in the "city" and such. He has been great, but it seems recently that he has developed a "fear" of men. He is leery about them until I introduce them. He is doing this with some children as well. He never did it before. Any ideas? He has just turned 5mo. I suppose the idea is to keep taking him out and socializing him. I reduced the socialization during the holidays due to other commitments. I just dont want him to be super fearful. Tomorrow he meets the Shutzhund trainer and I dont want him to be fearful of him.
The trainer is going to evaluate him for ScH? He/she should be ableto give you a good evaluation and also some good suggestions i would think.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trainer is going to evaluate him for ScH? He/she should be ableto give you a good evaluation and also some good suggestions i would think.
He has told me to start with Socialization and obedience in his classes and to get him used to everything. He had me walk him around the field as he made loud noises. If he tucked tail I held his hind end up and wagged his tail for him (yes, I looked like a fool..lol). When he came out dressed in the bite garb, Aspen growled at him. The other trainer told me NOT to correct that. (That trainer is also my basic OB trainer at Petsmart). I was just there for observation and this weekend or next (when I get to go back) I will pay for a session.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts