German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my puppy is afraid of other dogs. (and cats, but I'm guessing she just thinks they are dogs or something.)
She is fine walking past them, as long as the other dog doesn't really pay attention to her.
If she is stopped near another dog, she'll slowly come up to sniff at them, but again, as soon as the other dog even look at her she'll run and sit behind me. It doesn't matter what kind of dog it is, she even acted this way around a young (very calm) chihuahua. She'll occasionally bark at them, but it doesn't seem to be aggressive.
I've had problems properly socializing her with dogs. I don't really know anyone around here with a dog that I would feel comfortable having her around, and I really don't know what to do.

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Are there any puppy classes near you? Chance was afraid as a puppy, so I took him to classes so he could be around other dogs and socialize in a controlled environment.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Any and all puppy classes are absolutely ideal.

And truthfully, it's fine if YOU greet the other dog/person and your pup is behind you. Then cues from you it's ok and comes out to say hey in a few minutes. Just make sure you are meeting 'good' dogs though...

·
2,967 Posts
How old is she?

My pups would go through phases. The trick is not to make her interact, because that would push her past where she is comfortable. One thing I would do is continue to have her around other dogs, and maybe work some obedience around them. A Group puppy class would be a great place to start. This way she could learn to be around other dogs and maybe make some friends.

Something I do with my pups when they first come home and I want them to meet my big dogs is I will sit on the floor with the pup, and give treats alternating between the pup and the other dog. Me being down low helps to give my puppy confidence, treats make the experience pleasant, and giving treats to the big dog and maybe asking for some obedience commands help keep the big dog from focusing too much on the pup and scaring it. I prefer my pups to be able to see and smell the big dogs without the big dogs paying much attention. Being overwhelmed too many times can lead to aggression problem down the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is about 5-6 months old. Was a stray, so I have no idea if there was an experience that started this.
I never force her to interact with other dogs. :)
She is in a puppy class, but there are only two other dogs there and both are very playful, and not shy at all. She won't even go near a dog that is pulling on the leash towards her.

Tried greeting other dogs to show her its alright. She still wouldn't ease up very much.
A few times she has somewhat acted like she wanted to play, but as soon as the other dog responded, she hid behind me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts