German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I think my 11 (soon to be 12) week old pup is going through a fear stage (early?). She barks at EVERYONE (even cars sometimes) when we're on or near our property. But once we go for a walk or go to the store or anywhere else, she's totally fine and curious and friendly. I'm assuming it's fear because she's still really young, but it almost seems protective.....

Also, she's fine when people come to our house or the door - no barking. It's only when we're outside the house on the property (or unless she sees someone from the window), then BARK BARK BARK!

Anyway my question is how do I get her to not bark at people?
We try to socialize her as much as possible - we have people and kids and dogs come over and we bring her all around town (and she's fine).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She's also started barking at people on our walks...

How do I stop the barking when we're walking/outside without curbing the barking completely? I don't mind if she barks when someone is coming onto our property/to the door, but if someone isn't even approaching I don't want her to scare them!

·
5,627 Posts
This video is a good training game to play with your reactive dog.

Sorry, I'm tired and can't think up a whole post to write tonight but hopefully others will chime in or I'll revisit in the morning.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ozzy's starting to go through his fear stage (I think). When I was outside taking him potty, someone was walking by, and when he had his attention fixed on the man walking, I redirected him immediately.

Watch her carefully and try to redirect her and reward her around people before she exhibits the undesired behavior. That's what I've been doing. But if she already does the behavior, ignore it and try to walk the other way. Keep a toy or something on you to try and distract her with so that she can be in the presence of whatever is 'scary' but can associate it with something good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When she's barking she won't take her toy - she's too into barking.

I'm going to try to treat her before she barks, but sometimes that's difficult cuz it starts right when we walk out the door.

Would it send the wrong message if she's barking and I redirect her to me and then treat her? I don't want her to associate barking with getting a treat.

·
5,627 Posts
You want to try and catch her before she barks.

If you can get her to redirect her attention on you before she barks and then ask for a command and treat her for obeying the command.

Did you watch the video?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the video was helpful. I was just worried about her thinking she got a reward for barking. I can't always catch her before she barks (or at least I'm not observant enough I guess). But I will try to redirect her attention to me, even if she is barking, and see if that works.

We already do focus indoors, it's just outside where there's distractions where it's more difficult. And to add people/dogs on top of that it is almost impossible to get her to focus on me.

I'll keep trying the focus in lower distraction spots outside and see how it goes! Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it's going a little better.

She can be distracted if the person is at a distance.
But we ran into someone across the street on our walk today and BARK BARK BARK. The good news is I could distract her to get her to do something for a treat in between barks.

Slow and steady....

Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts