German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gypsy is on her second week home with us and things are going well. She's been great on walks and in the car except she has gotten (or already was) reactive while on leash. I took her to the dog park for ten minutes yesterday to see what would happen and she did not seem afraid or aggressive there, maybe shy and definitely playful. But when we are walking she will sometimes stiffen, whine, and then bark aggressively at dogs in their yards or on leash. I do not know her previous history with other dogs. There are loose dogs and scary yard dogs in our neighborhood and I think these encounters are making her fearful. Where should I go from here?

What I am already doing:

1. Trying to stay away from other dogs on walks (not always possible).
2. BAT with fenced in barking dogs from about 20 yards away.
3. Contacting trainers to see if we can set up a private consult in a few weeks.
4. Continuing with leash manners/marker training, NILIF and "wait" command.

Please let me know if you want more details on her behavior. This is a summary. Thank you so much for your help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I find it helps for me to curve around the other dogs and to keep my dog on the side away from the other dogs. Also to have my dog on heel, and I will have sit and I have him focus on the treat -he gets that when he focuses on me. Since he is on heel he has to follow me and focus and cannot act out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts