German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site and really could use some help. We have four dogs, the youngest being our 7 month old shepherd, Sam. At only 7 months, Sam is already as big as our 80 pound Plott hound. In just over a week we are going on vacation, the first for the entire family in a while, and my nephew will be staying at the house with the dogs.
My problem is Sam is aggressive when left alone with my nephew. Sam has had a problem with territorial fearful aggression. We have tried to have company over often to help him socialize and he is fine with people if we are there, he is a perfect little boy in public, he is even fine with other animals both on and off the property. In other words, he is not an out of control dog.
He does, however, have a couple of problems. One, he can be loving toward someone one second and a second later bark at them, as if they looked at him wrong. That I think we can work on, and I think it may be something he will grow out of with proper training and socialization. The next problem is the one that needs immediate help. He is aggressive when left alone with someone. Last night we left all the dogs with my nephew to see how he would act when left alone, a trial run. He was so friendly with my nephew, who is a grown man by the way, that we felt comfortable leaving. I mean, no signs of aggression at all. When we returned we found my nephew locked in the back room. Apparently as soon as we left Sam became extremely aggressive. My nephew said he tried ignoring him, tried petting the other dogs (who are overly friendly to everyone), tried being bossy, nothing worked.
We leave in a week and I have to get Sam to accept being alone with the housesitter. It is not the type of vacation we can postpone, my husbands dad is critically ill so it's time sensitive we get to see him. Please help!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Maybe you should consider sending Sam to a boarding service while you're gone. Everybody's safe that way, and you could deal with Sam's issues when you return.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Why take a chance, put him in a boarding kennel.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree sending him away to a professional for that week, if you're working with a trainer maybe they can recommend someone?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts