German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloall!

I have a 7 month old GSD mix. I adopted her when she was 9 weeks old, and she has always been a timid dog. The first day we got her, she peed out of fear when a small child pet her. I focused on getting her exposed to kids, and I felt like she got better. The problem is, I don’t have kids or have any friends with kids, so I couldn’t set up a controlled situation to introduce my puppy to kids.

As she got older, I could tell she became increasingly wary of kids. She is a timid dog in general. She is apprehensive of adults for a few minutes, and she’s scared l of other dogs briefly when meeting them. She definitely chooses flight rather than fight and prefers to approach others on her own terms. All of that is ok with me.

She sees kids daily as they walk behind our yard on a walking path. They do not intimidate her at a distance. Yesterday, a toddler got closer to our fence than usual, and my pup growled at her. It was a scary growl, I might add. I knew she growled because the child came closer than what my pup is used to, but my dog had every opportunity to run away. She was not at all trapped, so I don’t know why she felt the need to growl instead of running away like she usually does. She is also not a territorial dog.

My worst fear is that she will bite a kid. We’re always in a controlled setting, so I don’t think that would happen, but I’m not ruling it out. Do you have any suggestions? Should I correct the growling, or would that make her even more afraid of kids? I am 100% willing to take her to a trainer, but I live in a rural area and doubt that there would be ample opportunity for the trainer to have kids standing by.

It also feels a little weird to go to a playground and ask parents if I can sit at a comfortable distance away from kids to get my dog more exposed, especially since I now know that she growls at kiddos.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It also feels a little weird to go to a playground and ask parents if I can sit at a comfortable distance away from kids to get my dog more exposed, especially since I now know that she growls at kiddos.
It's not weird at all! Just make sure you have a good collar your dog can't slip out of, then find a nice park with a playground. Stay back far enough that your dog can watch without growling, and relax with her there. Over time she'll be able to move a little closer. It works!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

It's not weird at all! Just make sure you have a good collar your dog can't slip out of, then find a nice park with a playground. Stay back far enough that your dog can watch without growling, and relax with her there. Over time she'll be able to move a little closer. It works!
Thanks for the advice! You’re probably right. There’s several playgrounds in my neighborhood, and everyone I have met has been super kind. I guess we’ll give it a shot post-COVID

1 - 3 of 3 Posts