German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favourite crate for taking to shows, and why?

I'm just starting rally obedience with my boy, but we're loving it (and he seems to have an aptitude for it), and I would really like to compete (beyond the RN level). I also have agility aspirations.

We've been to 3 classes in a 7 class series. So far I've just been having him 'down' on a mat next to me. Instructors have been holding dogs without crates while we do walkthroughs, but I would like to start desensitizing him to being in a crate in that kind of environment.

The only problem is I just can't bring myself to lug his 48" wire kennel to class every week :p. It's far too big for him anyway (Sprocket's a MB, only about 50lb, would be fine in a 36" crate, but this is what I had).

I'm looking at soft crates, for their ease of portability and the size they collapse down to. I just don't know what to be looking for in this kind of crate!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use a 36" wire for shows, I had a friend make a cart to put it on so I just pull it to wherever I want to set up, also good to bunje cord the chair, umbrella, cooler, extra jacket, crate cover, training bag, water bucket, all the stuff that you end up hauling to a trial.
I know quite a few folks who use soft sided crates, but I feel more secure using a wire crate at shows. Dogs can get out of soft sided crates if they really want to. They can also roll them down hills (while inside them ) Funny :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I have a 42" soft-sided crate but its for travel and not really for shows. I also have a 36" wire in my car so I can always leave him in there. I'm more of the show up and leave show person, I don't really stick around for long after my class goes. If I do, I just put him down and hold on to the leash. Many shows don't have that much space for crates anyways, and the only reason I see needing one is if I were to do two different classes and stay in the intermission, but that's years away when I'm doing novice and open at the same time or whatever else there is for those combined titles.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Would also like to buy a soft sided crate so hopefully someone will post some sites-I haven't found one I liked at a price I like

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I use a wire crate for Whiskey. I am thinking of getting an aluminum one because he is starting to get strong enough to put dents into the wire crate. I might just cave in and get custom crates installed in the van or get a dog trailer.

I use Petmate Vari Kennel for Wiva. It's the perfect size to allow them to get up and move around, but still small enough to lift and lug around easily. It costs 115$ on Amazon with free shipping. Drsfostersandsmith has their own brand crate that looks pretty good for about 80$ with free shipping which I think is a good deal. DrFosters also includes stickers and attachable food/drink bowls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts