German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends! I have a 15 month old neutered male, Shasta. About two days ago, he started limping. He can be really dramatic, so after I examined his paw (front right) and found nothing wrong with it, I dismissed it. He quit limping again til the next day. Yesterday, we were on a bike ride (he runs beside me while I ride) and on the way home he started limping again. We took it really slow to get back home and I checked his paw again. Still nothing looked wrong. Ever since, it's been getting worse and now he's putting no weight on it and won't let me touch it.

This hasn't affected his diet or mood, he's still eating hugely and is happy as ever, but I wondered if any of y'all knew if there was something I could do to help him? I'm going to call the vet on Monday if it doesn't improve and since they're already closed for the weekend. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Forced rest is probably the best thing you can do for him until you get him in to see the Vet. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
He's right at the age when Panosteitis can be very common -- it's inflammation of the bones that can happen during growth. It's also called "wandering lameness" because it tends to hit one leg for a few weeks and then jump to another leg. It's usually diagnosed with an xray, and then managed with supportive care.

However, there are other things that can cause intermittent limping like partial ligament tears -- and those are a much bigger deal.

I'm glad you're going to the vet! That's the only way to know what's going on here. Hopefully it's something self-limiting and minor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Finally got to see the vet, and we seem to have traced it back to a jump across a ditch last week where he strained his shoulder. He's resting and on some meds now and should be good as new in no time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts