German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry for making another new post!

Kodi is set to have appointment tomorrow at 9:00 am for a full blood panel/thyroid check. My problem is that the clinic does not open until 8:00 am, and I feed my dogs at 6:30 am every morning, then 3:00 pm every afternoon.

I cannot recall if my vet said that Kodi needs to fast or not. Online gives me mixed replies -- some say 12 hour and others 24 hour. By the time I call tomorrow, I could have already skewed the potential results. Does anybody fast before bloodwork, and if so, how long?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've personally never been asked to fast a dog for any general blood work.....just before anesthesia.....I'm guessing that's going to depend on specifically what the Vet is checking for......as humans we're asked to fast for blood work involving cholesterol etc.---worst case scenario call Monday morning if fasting is necessary reschedule OR go ahead and "fast" Kodi now......however ...if he's like the "Cody" we have he'll think he's being tortured ...lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Thankfully, no anesthesia involved :) I don't mind putting off feeding him for few hours. He's always been good at eating ok...but yes, he can be very dramatic and vocal if his breakfast is late. He loves to complain to guests that he's always starving apparently.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Even with anesthesia involved I was told "no food after midnight", which suggests that 12 hours is sufficient. If the Vet didn't direct you to fast your dog when you made the appt. chances are good that it's not required.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Even for a sedative I can't make Shadow fast. Not sure it's needed for bloodwork. The one vet had asked me to have Shadow fast before her appointment and when I explained she would be sick if I did they said it was not a big deal and not to bother.

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Some bloodwork requires fasting, some does not. I've never heard of a 24 hour fast being needed, I think you'll be fine with 12 hours. The only time I remember needing to fast was for EPI/SIBO. For basic bloodwork they've often done it when I was there for a routine visit, so they ate meals as usual.

To be on the safe side, I'd delay his afternoon meal to the evening, and then feed breakfast after your vet visit. That way he's not having to wait to eat from 3 PM one day until after 9 AM the next.

BTW, is there a reason you've spaced his meals that way? I feed twice daily, but I aim for an approximate 12 hour spacing. That varies a bit from day to day, but they have one meal in the morning, anywhere from 6:30 to 9:30 (earlier on work days, later when I don't have to get up at 5:45 for work), and in the evening from 6:30-ish to 8. If you feed him at 6 or 7 PM the night before he'll still have a 12 hour fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will most certainly do that, Cassidy's Mom! Tomorrow can't come quick enough, so I hope we can get an accurate reading and get this diagnoised...

For mealtime, to be completely honest, it is mostly compulsive (ah, have mentioned before that I have OCD). I used to feed one big meal at 3:00, and that was my strict routine, but then my vet and I came up with this. He and I worked very hard to change their feeding schedule so that I could reroute myself. So now it's 6:30 am, which is almost the exact time that I wake up, and 3:00 pm, which has no connection to anything. I know there is no definite study for bloat, but I also give them an hour or so for their meals to settle before they go outside again. But it is very hot here in Mississippi, and I've been forcing myself to feed slightly later in the afternoon for their benefit, because eating at 3:00 means they'd go outside around 4:00/4:30 ish, and that is the highest peak of the day. When they go out, I go out, too, and it's sweltering for me outside, much less them and their furs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts