German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Katsu earned her BCAT title in AKC FastCAT this weekend (100yd sprint for those that don't know). It's nothing more than a fun sport to us. She has high prey drive and was cleared to work by two cardiologists so, why not? She's not the fastest out there, but she sure is having fun chasing that trash bag :grin2: Her personal best was 7.85s this weekend. After our Aniseed and Clove ORTs next Saturday we're done for the year, possibly until March 2019. We'll be focusing on Nosework (AKC and NACSW) until the pools open up again for Dock Diving. I will be starting Steel in his puppy class in Jan (for proofing with distractions) and a Conformation handling class.

Showing pictures of a misc. dog sport so I posted in this section. Hope it's okay :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
316 Posts
She's looking great! Is it common for GSDs ears to drop while running like that? Just curious because my dogs don't really drop much at all, and most I've seen at the park don't either. Maybe my dog is just too slow and it's a wind resistance thing haha.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's looking great! Is it common for GSDs ears to drop while running like that? Just curious because my dogs don't really drop much at all, and most I've seen at the park don't either. Maybe my dog is just too slow and it's a wind resistance thing haha.
Not sure, but any time I've seen her go full sprint, prey focused her ears dropped back like that. I've read it can mean they're "all in" on whatever they are doing. I used to call her name about 10 feet from the finish line - her ears would perk up towards me and she'd slow down. Now I just wait until she's finished, nabbed the lure at the end of the course, then I call her to me. Her time has gotten better because of that.

Reactions: clipke

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Not sure, but any time I've seen her go full sprint, prey focused her ears dropped back like that.
Great pic of the Kat-monster in full stride........whatever the reason for the ears down and locked.......I'd like to think it's just a bit faster than having those big speed/air brakes/spoilers deployed.....designed by nature for max efficiency.

SuperG

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Not sure, but any time I've seen her go full sprint, prey focused her ears dropped back like that. I've read it can mean they're "all in" on whatever they are doing. I used to call her name about 10 feet from the finish line - her ears would perk up towards me and she'd slow down. Now I just wait until she's finished, nabbed the lure at the end of the course, then I call her to me. Her time has gotten better because of that.
Very cool! I want to get Mei into this! Would you know how I would go about finding information about FastCAT? Feel free to send me a PM if you like. Just recently started some bite work, with my trainer and me only for now and she loves that. Mei is on the lighter side, 58lbs currently, and is very fast and agile. Her ears drop when she takes off as well. It has got to be a aerodynamic thing! Her mohawk might slow her down though!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I really like the 2nd and 3rd photos! I see that in my dog all the time...photo 2 is running, photo 3 is clearly all-out, streamlined for maximum aerodynamics! Awesome photos, and yes that ribbon looks very good on her!

Reactions: Katsugsd

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool! I want to get Mei into this! Would you know how I would go about finding information about FastCAT? Feel free to send me a PM if you like. Just recently started some bite work, with my trainer and me only for now and she loves that. Mei is on the lighter side, 58lbs currently, and is very fast and agile. Her ears drop when she takes off as well. It has got to be a aerodynamic thing! Her mohawk might slow her down though!
Since FastCAT is an AKC event, you can use their event locator tool to find one (https://webapps.akc.org/event-search/#/search). I know most are held in my neck of the woods (MD, PA, VA, CT, and OH I believe). It may be worth joining a facebook for all-breed lure coursing. Our local one (Mid-Atlantic All-Breed Lure Coursing) posts premiums and entry dates when they become available. I know some runs have been done in Texas and Georgia, but I'm not sure about anywhere else. An alternative is the CABTs which may be available where you are. They are a longer course. I'm thinking about trying them at some point. Your dog has to be over a year to compete in FastCAT, and I'm assuming the same for CAT.

I love "pocket shepherds!" Katsu is 22-23" at the withers and is 56lbs. :grin2:

Reactions: Mei

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Since FastCAT is an AKC event, you can use their event locator tool to find one (https://webapps.akc.org/event-search/#/search). I know most are held in my neck of the woods (MD, PA, VA, CT, and OH I believe). It may be worth joining a facebook for all-breed lure coursing. Our local one (Mid-Atlantic All-Breed Lure Coursing) posts premiums and entry dates when they become available. I know some runs have been done in Texas and Georgia, but I'm not sure about anywhere else. An alternative is the CABTs which may be available where you are. They are a longer course. I'm thinking about trying them at some point. Your dog has to be over a year to compete in FastCAT, and I'm assuming the same for CAT.

I love "pocket shepherds!" Katsu is 22-23" at the withers and is 56lbs. /forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Thanks for the link! I hate how far the club is here. I did find a lure course event that is open to anyone ran by this club really close to me though. It's in July. I'm going to talk to my trainer this Saturday about other AKC stuff Mei can do and if he knows somewhere closer, non-AKC, where I can expose Mei to the sport. She is pretty fast! Just measured her at the withers, without a real level, at 23". If you saw her you'd probably think shes the same size as Katsu aka "fried cutlet"!

Thanks for sharing this again. I didn't even know it was a thing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts