German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zac is 6 months old and has been surrounded by grand kids and young nieces since we brought him home at 9 weeks. My better half's grand kids are here 2-3 times a week and nearly all day Saturdays but always supervised. Zac has been great with them especially the youngest toddler who he follows around. When he was mouthing he would gently hold her hand or wrist in his mouth as she walked, he still does this but it's getting less and less as we work on stopping him mouthing altogether . Now if he was hurting a 18 month old you'd know about it but all we get is giggles from her. I do know the stage is approaching were we need to be extra vigilant but my question(s) is this (eventually)

I know shepherds are usually great with kids but when out Zac is typically aloof with adults and not reactive at all with other dogs but he can't help being interested in children which even though he's calm with no agressive signs (quite the opposite) understandably scares parents a little. Is this him as a pup recognising they my be someone he can dominate and something I should be wary of? Or, is it because he's used to being around the family's kids? Is this a known thing with shepherds?

BTW he's not off lead where this can happen as his recall still needs work

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
One thing to keep an eye on is sometimes with herding breeds being overprotective with "their" kids vs visiting kids.Rough housing, chasing around, etc. can likely trigger those instincts.
Sounds like your dog simply likes children. My shepherd before my current one adored babies and kids.

·
Registered
Trouble "Bailey" (27/01/2021) and his teenage handler
224 Posts
Bailey loves little kids too. My two-year-old cousin is a specific favourite, along with any other kid he sees ever. Usually a "leave it" deters him, and we tend not to let him greet many kids outside when we're on walks. I don't think he'd hurt or try to dominate one though

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Luna loves kids to she will keep such a close watch on my kids and young nephews especially in the water. Very strong maternal and herding instincts. We had a big family sleep over and the dogs actually preferred to be in the same room with hyped up little kids and adults were doing karaoke. They had many choices and did not have to be in the same room. Luna sleeping through it all. Some females seem to have that strong maternal instinct.

In regards to my kids family and friends kids I let Max think he is life of the party. He has to be in the middle of it all sleeping bags and all. He can was always a mouthy pup he is not mouthy anymore but occasionally will use his mouth- no teeth just gently mouth as communication and or playful. Like I’m happy to see you get, I’m right over here by the way, come over here I want to show you something kind of thing. Unknown kids that we meet out we usually keep to ourselves although no issues and often are at kids playgrounds as my sister has a young son and meet her at the park often. There is no need to meet and greet kids while out only if it was a friend we were meeting out etc.

They are all are checking out some kind of bug in the woods -

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Sounds like he's a good boy, and you're raising him well. Just continue monitoring him. My girls have been raised with our grandchildren. They are good with all kids, but take exceptional care of ours. Love to share pictures of my girls, so here's one, one cat, 2 Germans and one little girl. ♥

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
So I posted a picture of my granddaughter, and the dogs but it says questionable content. I have no idea why. ???

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
Fama loved kids and Valor is the same. He's always been gentle with babies. My service dog Lucian (Cane Corso) was particularly enamored with babies. They were his kryptonite.

As long as you control excitement levels, I think you are good to go.

You can see my wife redirecting Valor here, encouraging good behavior.

He's a bit older here. Nice and calm.

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
Good with kids is written into the original breed plan. We forget that at our peril. I don't know of any reputable breeder who would breed a dog that was aggressive toward kids.
I don't know of any confident dog that isn't good with kids. Fama would tag an adult just to punk them out, but she was always great with kids.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I guess I kinda felt/sensed he was seeking them out in a good way, just needed a bit of experienced reassurance. Those pic's and videos are great. Will of course monitor him whilst still developing and bouncy playful. @David Winners that Ahh ahh from your wife is exactly what Tracey does to Zac lol works a treat for her every time, me, I have to use a sterner tone. I guess as much as it pains me 😊 Zac may just be a mommy's boy but I'm good with that.

Bear - 9 month old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
314 Posts
Bear loves kids and kids love Bear. I have a 9 year old son (who brings kids around ALL the time) so I always assumed it was because he was raised around one but now I can see it's just a common thing! Bear is pretty aloof with toddlers and babies but he loves a group of rowdy kids. When I'm out walking Bear in the town/neighborhood (we live on a secluded property so I take him into town to expose him to new situations) we often have kids asking if they can pet Bear. I see many of you say you avoid that situation but I just put him into a sit/stay and allow the kids to pet him or ask me questions and usually tell me about their dogs at home. I enjoy this and so does Bear. If he ever reacted negatively or showed signs that he was uncomfortable I would say no thank you and walk on. I think Bear thinks he is one of the kids which in essence, he is!

Cloud Sky Ecoregion People in nature Plant

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Plant

Water Sky Lake Tree Beach

Dog Plant Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

Watching the kids outside 🤣
Cat Felidae Comfort Carnivore Mammal

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Purple

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I posted a picture of my granddaughter, and the dogs but it says questionable content. I have no idea why. ???
Sometimes forums baffles me lol. I’m admin in a football forum and sometimes genuinely innocent posts are barred and it’s not the admin team

1 - 14 of 14 Posts