German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey farts at least a few times a day. Absolutely putrid-smelling ones. His poops are fine and he doesn't get a lot of treats. He's currently eating Wainwrights large breed puppy food and seems to really like it. I'm not sure if that's causing a problem or not, but I'd love to know if there is a way to prevent it.

It stinks. Really bad.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
When I got my cat from the local Humane Society, they included a free bag of cat food.
Not long after getting the kitty home, I found out he farted - a LOT. I've had cats most of my life, and had never had a problem with this before, so I asked the clerk at the local pet store if the food might be to blame. You know how a cat lifts its tail when you pet its back? Well, he'd be lying on top of me when I did this, and would fart RIGHT IN MY FACE!!

Anyway, the clerk. who was very knowledgeable about pet food, said yes, definitely, the food was likely to blame.
I switched to a better quality food, and never had a problem with him farting after that.

My dogs fart occasionally, but it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Mine only do it if they need to poop.
i would change the food. All that gas means something does not agree with him.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I feel your pain but Django seems to have stopped recently. But he farted usually when he needed to poop but not always. But it was always super stinky. It was definitely the food. His poop is a lot firmer now too as he’s matured,

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
When I first adopted Luc I had him a Hills t/d or similar dental food. He had the most incredible farts. One silent one once woke up the cat, just from the smell. I switched to a higher quality food (grain-free; don't think that's a requirement, just what I did at the time) and he just had normal/little gas for the rest of his life.

Reactions: Baileyshuman

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah thanks, everyone. It must be the food then. We've been on Royal Canin maxi puppy also, but had the same results. Does anyone have any recommendations or things to look out for (no grain, meat % etc)?

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adding some Prozyme (digestive enzymes) with water to activate it can help some dogs.
thank you. Is this the right thing?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ah thanks, everyone. It must be the food then. We've been on Royal Canin maxi puppy also, but had the same results. Does anyone have any recommendations or things to look out for (no grain, meat % etc)?
We've had Zac on Royal Canin since we got him and have had no issues re gas.

Unless he farts like old socks and it's not her doors footwear afterall!

Incoming !!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts