German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No pictures yet. I'm going over tomorrow after work to see him. He's currently at a kennel for boarding, but is available through the town animal control. I emailed them, and they left a message today. Very nice people, said whatever I need to do to help him find a home is great.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11529982

Quote: Houston is a very sweet friendly pur German Shepherd. He is adoptable through the Town of Farmington, and the adoption fee of $50 includes a state of Connecticut voucher for neutering (which he needs) and the rabies and initial distemper vaccines. His color is mostly black with a touch of tan.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll actually have to go tomorrow (Wednesday), since my little guy has an ear infection, and I finally got a vet appointment for tonight. Poor bugger. I'll fill you in tomorrow evening though.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Originally Posted By: KaitadogI'll actually have to go tomorrow (Wednesday), since my little guy has an ear infection, and I finally got a vet appointment for tonight. Poor bugger. I'll fill you in tomorrow evening though.
Hmmm. A photo assignment, Aimee? Can't wait to see!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooooh he is gorgeous!!! My pictures are uploading as I speak.

Here's a quick summary:

I stayed with him in the fenced yard for about 35-45 minutes. He was not very interested in me, but more to be out and playing and sniffing. After about 15-20 minutes, he seemed to want to interact with me more. Specifically by trying to get me to throw the rock for him. (more on that in a minute)

He did not come when called, but if I turned and walked away, he would follow. He did not seem to know 'sit' or 'down'. When he first came out of the kennel he was on a simple cotton slip lead and was pulling fairly hard. After letting him play off leash for a while in the fenced area and leading him by the leash again, he was much better. I could change direction abruptly and he would follow with no hesitation.

He seemed pretty interested in the ratty tennis ball I found. He would chase it and bring it back in front of me. He would drop it, but snatch it up again before I could reach it. No growls though. I could put my foot on it and take it away. He then became interested in a large rock. Dug it up and picked it up in his mouth and carried it around. He dropped it and would dig for it again and again.

As far as other dogs, he seemed content to walk near them and investigate through the fence, even if they were loudly protesting.

His canines were very worn down, which I couldn't figure out. Maybe it's from the rocks, maybe he was a crate chewer? Or could someone have filed them down?

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Very nice work, Aimee!

Did you have help behind you in the photos, or was he willing to look at the camera?

I've got a good feel for him both in photos and in description. There is no denying he's an incredibly handsome man.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!!

No help, just me and Houston in the yard. I had a tennis ball, which really helped.
It was hard to get his attention with noise. He didn't pay any attention. But say "ball" and show it to him? All ears!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts