German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we went to the farmers market with Ammo. We had walked through about half of it when a random woman came up and told me dogs weren't allowed because there was food there. This is an outside market. I was wondering if anyone has taken there dog to the farmers market? I was under the impression that it was ok to take dogs to them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,036 Posts
Depends on the market, all the ones near me have signs at the entrance that say no dogs allowed.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Well-behaved dogs are permitted at the markets I go to. They've been invaluable in socializing Pongu to crowds.

Unfortunately enough people have been bringing unruly and uncontrolled dogs that the market began posting signs saying that ill-mannered dogs would not be allowed, and if that doesn't solve the problem, our market may ban dogs altogether.

It would be unfortunate if they did, but I'd understand.

Anyway, yeah, this varies from market to market. If you need to go just for socialization, you might be okay just hanging around the fringes of the market and not going into the stall area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The local market is ok with dogs, but its pretty small. A lot of the vendors bring their small dogs so no one complains if a customer brings theirs.

The large town nearby (with the good market) has signs that say no dogs except service dogs. They have an open air cooked food section plus all the farmer stalls. I never see dogs there except for the purse pups. It wouldn't be a good place for larger dogs anyway, its always so crowded.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our local farmers market allows dogs however, I've seen some letters to the editor in our local paper complaining about the number of dogs rather than their behavior. My wife takes Lindee, our 6 month old for socialization.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ammo is really well behaved when we go out so I didn't think anything about taking him. I had seen many small dogs walking around in the stall area so it really surprised me that Ammo was singled out. I guess that's what happens when you have a big dog.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Was this the Farmers market in Norman, I was wondering the same thing-I almost went today for a social outing for my pup but couldn't remember if dogs are allowed or not. Then I remembered that I haven't got his license yet and don't want to get a ticket...lol....time to get that done...lol...

Do you happen to know if dogs can go in Petco or not-I know they can Petsmart.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I take Shadow to our local farmers market a lot. It's a great place to socialize, but you get poorly behaved dogs there too. It's a toss up, but if there are no signs saying no dogs allowed, keep going. Alternatively you can ask the city or the organizing body.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Was this the Farmers market in Norman, I was wondering the same thing-I almost went today for a social outing for my pup but couldn't remember if dogs are allowed or not. Then I remembered that I haven't got his license yet and don't want to get a ticket...lol....time to get that done...lol...

Yep, they are allowed in Petco. Was just in there today and a lady had a cute Scottie dog in with her. We used to take the Ol Man in a lot so he could pick out his next squeaky toy.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

We just moved from Oklahoma to Tennessee, I really need to change that. I don't know about any of the farmers markets in Oklahoma as far as petco I took Ammo in just the other day. Never had anyone say anything. Guess it's ok. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The large farmers market here allows dogs but literally has a sign that says NO PIT BULLS! I see dogs there all the time. It really depends on the market but there's food at all the markets I've been to and dogs have been welcome.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I would have just told her, "it's ok, he likes food too." If she pushed it, I would ask her where it is posted and who made the rule.

Recently, I went to an American Cancer Society Rally for Life at the fair grounds here, and got kicked out because I had a puppy with me. Whatever. Rally for Human Life only I guess. And the fairgrounds are home to a variety of mammals, like horses, and cats, year round. But whatever. Dogs are not allowed by the American Cancer Society. Probably afraid of people being bitten.

My pup put a smile on a lot of faces though. Whatever. I asked where it was posted but eventually I just left. I just hated humans a little more that day. I know how a dog helped a cancer survivor survive, and I know another that helped one, being a companion throughout his illness until he passed, and how that dog grieved for him. I would think of all organizations, the American Cancer Society would appreciate dogs.

Ooops! This is about Farmer's Markets. All those vegetables raised in manure are going to be tainted by dog breath, LOL! Gotta love people.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The farmer's market I go to here might as well be called the dog farmer's market. :p There are at least 3 vendors selling dogs treats and the Buffalo Animal shelter is there every week with kittens (in cages) and lots of dogs (almost all pit bulls). I took Rafi today and we saw about 15 other dogs. Buffalo is a dog loving city though!

It's not a big market...probably 25 vendors total?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts