German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around on Craigslist and saw an ad for meat chickens. I emailed her for details and said 3 dollars a pound, butchered and wrapped. :eek:

I think that's high as I pay a lot less than that at the grocery store, like .49/lb for leg quarters on sale. Are farms usually this high? I can get beef and pork less than that too. Just seems crazy.

She said fed free range and non GMO scratch grain, whatever that is.

:silly: I can't pay that for chicken, lol, the dogs are eating better than us lately! I would ask about left over organs but she said someone already did.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Publix has the hormone free organic chicken and its not that much I don't think

·
Registered
253 Posts
No way. If I pay $3 a pound for meat, it better be a filet wrapped in bacon and served to me with a glass of red wine.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
If the chickens are laying chickens they may not have much meat and have brittle bones...I'd rather pay $3 for a dozen eggs from free range chickens than $3 a # for the chicken itself!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I was looking around on Craigslist and saw an ad for meat chickens. I emailed her for details and said 3 dollars a pound, butchered and wrapped. :eek:

I think that's high as I pay a lot less than that at the grocery store, like .49/lb for leg quarters on sale. Are farms usually this high? I can get beef and pork less than that too. Just seems crazy.

She said fed free range and non GMO scratch grain, whatever that is.

:silly: I can't pay that for chicken, lol, the dogs are eating better than us lately! I would ask about left over organs but she said someone already did.
$3/lb for chickens that are free range (not caged like the commercial chickens) and are not fed GMO grains (Genetically Modified Organisms - aka Crops) and are (most likely but I would ask) broiler birds and not old layer hens is actually quite reasonable.

That being said I would not waste that REALLY good stuff on the dogs. They can get the commercial chickens from the grocery store while I savor the absolutely WONDERFUL flavor of well-raised chicken!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts