·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am interested. I am in Monroe County.
What does it mean that he is getting more stressed? What is he doing?

·
Registered
31,998 Posts
GSD's, and most working breeds, tend to break down quickly when in high stress environments like shelters. They'll start tail chasing, barking and lunging at the kennel doors, stop eating, pacing in their kennels, etc. They all handle the stress in different ways. The best thing you could do is call the shelter tomorrow morning and talk to someone about him. If you think you are interested, go see him in person if you are able. There might be a rescue person here willing to help you evaluate him.

What are you looking for in a personality?
Cats?
Kids?
Other dogs?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Our kids are all grown. Youngest and the only one left still at home, is our 22 year old son who runs our mfg plant. I already looked up their website and it seems they are closed on S-M- and tuesdays? Alot of days to be closed I think.
I can deal with stress like you mentioned. I was concerned about fear biting.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also, this shelter is 202 miles from me. Not bad.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think Nick would do wonderfully with us if he tends to get stressed out as our home is pretty quiet. No small kids, hubby and son are laid back personalities. My other son has a Dobe who is very lovable and will at times come to our home. I know his dog is great with others. It would have to be a controlled introduce as not knowing how Nick would be?

·
Registered
31,998 Posts
How he reacts around dogs can be tested at the shelter. A dog that would not normally be stressed easily will stress in a shelter. It's hard to tell their true personality until they are out for a couple of weeks.

Is there anyone that can help EMarie with Nick????

·
Registered
349 Posts
How he reacts around dogs can be tested at the shelter. A dog that would not normally be stressed easily will stress in a shelter. It's hard to tell their true personality until they are out for a couple of weeks.

Is there anyone that can help EMarie with Nick????
That makes sense.
I also work out of my home handling customer service calls so at least the poor guy won't be alone at all. This is why at first I was considering buying a puppy as I would have the time and ability to spend time with him or her.
I just find it a bit weird that a shelter is closed on S-M-T. I think I will drive out there on Wednesday and get a hotel for the night that hopefully will allow dogs. This way if Nick likes me, I can get all the supplies I need for him, then go back and pick him up and we will spend the night at the hotel leaving in the morning. The shelter doesn't open until 11 oclock and I really do not like driving at night time.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Oh! He is a looker! I hope you can work it out EMarie! It would be shame to let such a beautiful dog be pts! Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
31,998 Posts
Definitely call and email like Lee said too. Somebody might answer you. Just because the shelter is closed to adopters, doesn't mean their aren't people there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have emailed Amanda and now trying to find a hotel that allows a dog OVER 40 pounds!

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
Red Roof Inn....I have stayed at some Holiday Inns with dogs, and I think EconoLodge and Comfort Inns allow them too...super 8 as well....

Lee

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'm a long-time rescuer who's pulled more than 20 GSDs out of animal shelters and helped them find new homes. Nobody is more concerned about the plight of homeless GSDs than I am. I spend hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours every year on rescue. So I hope I can get away with saying this without being crucified, and I hope you'll listen to what I have to say.

Slow down. Take a deep breath. I know you're excited about driving down and meeting Nick tomorrow, but proceed with caution.

You said that this will be your first GSD. Whichever dog you chose will be your companion for 10 years or more God willing. Many shelter dogs are wonderful pets that just need another shot. Many others have serious issues and need experienced handling. Most are somewhere in the middle.

I would encourage you to meet several dogs before you commit to one. If you want to help Nick, maybe you can foster him for a local rescue group? That way if you decide you love him and want to keep him you'll have that option; but if he drives you crazy and makes you want to pull your hair out you can send him to a more experienced foster or adopter without feeling like you're giving up on him.

For your first GSD I would strongly urge you to go through a rescue group and not adopt the first one you see at a shelter.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm a long-time rescuer who's pulled more than 20 GSDs out of animal shelters and helped them find new homes. Nobody is more concerned about the plight of homeless GSDs than I am. I spend hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours every year on rescue. So I hope I can get away with saying this without being crucified, and I hope you'll listen to what I have to say.

Slow down. Take a deep breath. I know you're excited about driving down and meeting Nick tomorrow, but proceed with caution.

You said that this will be your first GSD. Whichever dog you chose will be your companion for 10 years or more God willing. Many shelter dogs are wonderful pets that just need another shot. Many others have serious issues and need experienced handling. Most are somewhere in the middle.

I would encourage you to meet several dogs before you commit to one. If you want to help Nick, maybe you can foster him for a local rescue group? That way if you decide you love him and want to keep him you'll have that option; but if he drives you crazy and makes you want to pull your hair out you can send him to a more experienced foster or adopter without feeling like you're giving up on him.

For your first GSD I would strongly urge you to go through a rescue group and not adopt the first one you see at a shelter.
I hear you loud and clear, however it is not tomorrow that I am going there since they are closed until Wednesday. Tomorrow is my buying dog food, and other supplies whether it is for Nick or another GSD we may adopt. I like being prepared.
As for jumping at just getting the first GS I see, well, I had an adorable 7 week old in my arms and didn't purchase her due to the breeder.
As for a dog that may give problems I am fully prepared. I owned a Lab for 16 years that would freak out when there was any kind of storm. Refused to go outside if it was raining and would stand there peeing in the house.
She never would have issues like that except when it was storming. She also LOVED to chew everything BUT her toys. You have no idea how much Spackle we went through repairing drywall in our house for the first 3 years of her life. Bitter Apple was probably the equivalent of apple tarts to her as it didn't deter her one iota.
I understand what you are saying and all, but I am in my 50's and not a teen looking to get a playmate. (saying this will a gentle voice, no anger)Please read my prior posts as you will see I am not the type who walks away when things go badly. Referring to my dog needing hip replacement surgery that cost 2500.00 instead of putting her down.
I feel so much for this dog who is obviously freaking the heck out being in the shelter. He has already been abandoned one too many times in his life. Enough is enough.
Anyways, I already (thanks to Lee telling me about Red Roof) booked my room at this hotel for Wednesday night. I will know and so will the dog I am sure, if we are going to be companions for many many years or not.
If not, then my search will continue. Thank you for the advice though as you do not know me and how I may be. Understood. :)

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
is it from the shelter???? Can someone network into them and let them know EMarie is willing to try to help?????

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Emoore, I understand what you are saying too. It sounds like EMarie understands as well. I would be more concerned if this was her first dog of any kind. I think she is up to the challenge. My first GSD was also a shelter dog. I had no rescue help, no evaluation help, nothing. It's been almost 11 years and the old girl is 13 now. I have been so blessed to have my shelter girl.

Good luck EMarie and PLEASE keep us posted.

Jan

·
Registered
349 Posts
Emoore, I understand what you are saying too. It sounds like EMarie understands as well. I would be more concerned if this was her first dog of any kind. I think she is up to the challenge. My first GSD was also a shelter dog. I had no rescue help, no evaluation help, nothing. It's been almost 11 years and the old girl is 13 now. I have been so blessed to have my shelter girl.

Good luck EMarie and PLEASE keep us posted.

Jan
Thanks Jan.
Lee and I have chatted via emails and as I told him, the only thing that Nick could do where I would be saying "Yeah, this is not going to work" is if he bit half my face off. Well, if that happened, I wouldn't be talking too clearly I guess. ;)
Aside from that, I have all of you to turn to if, well something tells me it won't be an "if" but a "when" something arises that I need advice on. I may be lucky if I do get him that everything will be hunky dory, but if he has been neglected, and is freaking out, I am betting on that there WILL be an issue or two that will need addressing. I am so glad that I found this forum!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Ok...checked out their website. This is a better shelter (no kill actually - although all shelters put down when an animal becomes "unadoptable" due to issues or health...and that is probably why they are begging for help with this dog...as he is starting to stress)
My point...this is not a cash and carry shelter...and they do make you fill out a preadoption application...so it doesn't sound like you would be leaving with the dog (of course I could be wrong but most better shelters that make you fill out app's don't).
They also have alot of resources...adoption counselors and post-adoption help...even training....check out their website...lots to take advantage of :)
Just be sure...and careful..know that dogs don't show their true personalities at the shelter..see if there is someone at the shelter that can assist you with temp testing....and be committed....as returning a dog for an issue will be a most likely be a death sentence for him. Good luck and thank you for wanting to save a life!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts