German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl did great on all aspects of the CGC except the last one....staying with a stranger while I left the room. She stayed composed for 1.5 minutes then started pulling on the leash. She is very attached to me and always stays near me in public. She doesn't have fear issues, has never shown separation anxiety when left at home.

She does have trouble staying focused when my trainer handles her because she constantly looks around for me.

Is this really a bad thing? She is almost 2. Is she just a bit young to separate from me?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm sure Ozzy would fail that part miserably.

He wants to be with me, just me, only me, all the time. When I'm around and someone will command him to do something, he looks to me. Usually he blows them off completely, but he'll listen to anything I tell him the first time, almost before I'm finished giving the command.

Personally, I like the fact he doesn't listen to strangers. I don't like other people commanding my dog to do things. I'll admit though, I do get a little laugh out of the people's frustrations when he doesn't listen to them. ;)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My dog did the same. She is 2.5.
She doesn't like being left with strangers.
I don't hold that against her, even though the CGC does.
I think it is an unnecessary part of the test because the rest tests
temperament and approachability. But that's just me.

·
5,627 Posts
I would have sworn to you that Kaiser would fail that part but he really surprised me and did well. This is a dog that has climbed through tiny windows to get to me.

A good class that slowly desensitizes them to being left when you say it's okay will help a lot.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
A good class that slowly desensitizes them to being left when you say it's okay will help a lot.
Yup, that's what we did in our class. Slowly built up the amount of time they were left each week for 6 weeks. The owner didn't come back unless the dog was calm. At the end of 6 weeks, all 8 dogs passed.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I would have sworn to you that Kaiser would fail that part but he really surprised me and did well. This is a dog that has climbed through tiny windows to get to me.

Exactly
My class attempted that over 6 weeks to no avail.
It would have been good if I had someone to work with outside of class.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I honestly would rather it that way. I am my dogs handler NO one else.
Not the vet? Or the groomer? Or the person who works at the boarding kennel when you're called out of town unexpectedly and can't make other arrangements? Unfortunately there are times in a dog's life when he has to be left with someone who isn't his owner.

I like being bonded to my dogs as much as any one, but-- and this is just my humble opinion-- a dog who can't be left with a groomer, veterinarian, etc without falling apart is not an example of good temperament. The dog doesn't have to be lovey-dovey and give them kisses, but they shouldn't fall to pieces either.

I think that being left with a stranger is a crucial part of the CGC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I feel better now. Only problem is, she has to pass the test to start therapy training...well at least to pass the therapy test.

We never really worked on this in class. Although there were several shepherds in our sat group class, they were all so laid back.

Sooo..now trying to figure out what to do. She would be a great therapy dog. She has the temperament for it, and I have no intention of anyone handling her without me being present.

What to do???

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Not the vet? Or the groomer? Or the person who works at the boarding kennel when you're called out of town unexpectedly and can't make other arrangements? Unfortunately there are times in a dog's life when he has to be left with someone who isn't his owner.

I like being bonded to my dogs as much as any one, but-- and this is just my humble opinion-- a dog who can't be left with a groomer, veterinarian, etc without falling apart is not an example of good temperament. The dog doesn't have to be lovey-dovey and give them kisses, but they shouldn't fall to pieces either.

I disagree.
My dog can be left with groomers, etc. She just doesn't like it and says so. Once I have been gone for a while she settles down. But in CGC she has to settle down IMMEDIATELY FOR 3 MINUTES. No complaints or tugging in my direction allowed. I am not bothered that she doesn't go easily into the hands of others. CGC literally means Canine Good Citizen and my dog is that. She is approachable and behaves well for all of the first nine tests. The separation test has nothing to do with being a good citizen and has everything to do with loyalty, which is a whole nuther thing.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Not the vet? Or the groomer? Or the person who works at the boarding kennel when you're called out of town unexpectedly and can't make other arrangements? Unfortunately there are times in a dog's life when he has to be left with someone who isn't his owner. True, and I have a couple people that can and will take care of my dog if I cant.

I like being bonded to my dogs as much as any one, but-- and this is just my humble opinion-- a dog who can't be left with a groomer, veterinarian, etc without falling apart is not an example of good temperament. The dog doesn't have to be lovey-dovey and give them kisses, but they shouldn't fall to pieces either. I can only speak for my dog here but, she doesn't fall to pieces as much as look for me. Once she realizes she can't find me she just lays down until I return (I have never been gone very long).

Like stated befor, I understand I might not always be able to take my dog on every trip or she might need to be left at the vet. However, a STRANGER is not who I would leave my dog with. I have fail safes in order for myself and my dog but a stranger is not an option for me.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
My girl did great on all aspects of the CGC except the last one....staying with a stranger while I left the room. She stayed composed for 1.5 minutes then started pulling on the leash. She is very attached to me and always stays near me in public. She doesn't have fear issues, has never shown separation anxiety when left at home.

She does have trouble staying focused when my trainer handles her because she constantly looks around for me.

Is this really a bad thing? She is almost 2. Is she just a bit young to separate from me?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Yes, the dog should be able to be separated from their owner for a few minutes w/o falling apart. Look for you and be really happy to see you, of course. but she/he should be able to be confident enough to go with a friendly stranger. You can train them to do this of course.

I would start with handing the leash to a friendly person after they have stood around you for a few minutes. Give the person their toy and/or treats to use and step away just a few feet at first. Then gradually work the distance up and eventually you go out of sight for small interval and work the time up as well.

First of course --- How is your pooch with strangers when you are there? If the dog is afraid this exercise is MUCH more difficult and one should start with someone that they know at least a little and like.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I disagree.
My dog can be left with groomers, etc. She just doesn't like it and says so. Once I have been gone for a while she settles down. But in CGC she has to settle down IMMEDIATELY FOR 3 MINUTES. No complaints or tugging in my direction allowed.
Might want to go to a different evaluator, or have your instructor re-read the manual. That's not what the evaluator's handbook says. It says something to the effect that the dog can't appear over-anxious or whine continuously. I don't have it in front of me but I know for a fact it doesn't say no complaints or tugging allowed. I agree with you, that is over the top.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Might want to go to a different evaluator, or have your instructor re-read the manual. That's not what the evaluator's handbook says. It says something to the effect that the dog can't appear over-anxious or whine continuously. I don't have it in front of me but I know for a fact it doesn't say no complaints or tugging allowed. I agree with you, that is over the top.
Thanks. My dog would have whined continuously due to being over-anxious for the 3 minutes as well as tugged the tester to wherever I was. There was inadequate preparation. So be it. I just don't think that has anything to do with being a good citizen, but I am very obviously subjective.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I did not think my golden would pass this part of the test and he did well...he danced a little bit but overall he did good. Now my german shepherd is a different story..I don't think she is going to do well on that part of the test at all. I leave her with my son at training class and all she does in talk, cry, and look for me and thats not even with a stranger:eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please check the manual for me. I thought I read that the dog does not have to stay in a sit or any other command. But is not allowed to pull and appear anxious.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
"The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness."

I read that to mean 1)mild agitation and nervousness are ok, and 2)a little barking, whining, or pacing is ok. Not continuous barking or whining, or unnecessary pacing.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I did not think my golden would pass this part of the test and he did well...he danced a little bit but overall he did good. Now my german shepherd is a different story..I don't think she is going to do well on that part of the test at all. I leave her with my son at training class and all she does in talk, cry, and look for me and thats not even with a stranger:eek:

Do you train your dog for this?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
"The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness."

I read that to mean 1)mild agitation and nervousness are ok, and 2)a little barking, whining, or pacing is ok. Not continuous barking or whining, or unnecessary pacing.

this yes! When we (myself and another student) were friendly strangers during a CGC test, the evaluators allowed the dog to whine for 15 seconds. If they continued past the 15 seconds, the clock had to be restarted, the owner had to come back in and start all over again. They only allow two resets so to speak. The ONE dog of the 7 in the class that had the problems was because the test was held in a place where during the first time left, the owner was told to walk out of the front door of the building (small pet store) and she freaked out. They reset and we tried it with the dog being left outside with a friendly stranger while the owner walked into the store for the 3 minutes. The dog did MUCH better. Best we can figure is the first time, the dog thought the owner was leaving her behind kinda like when you have to leave your dog at the groomer or the vets office but when we reset the clock and the owner went INSIDE instead, she knew he had to come back out so she was much more relaxed. Still a little unhappy with the situation but in the end she passed. (but barely).

One dog didnt even pass the test and shouldnt have even been allowed to take it because he is not approachable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts