German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This coming Tuesday there is going to be a City Council Meeting in regards to PitBulls. This is based on two major attacks local, and 65% of all police and animal control calls are Pit Bull related.

So, here is what I think is going on, and believe somewhere there has to be proof of it.

I believe that The "guard dog" of such a such time is always been the dog to watch out for.

When the Doberman was the dog, that was the dog of most bites,
When the Rotweiler was the dog
then the GSD, but I am trying to locate something to support this.

I also believe that the a majority of people who have the dogs with incident would have had the same incident regardless of the breed, but I have not found the right way to search for this, geographic, or demographics.

ANd on a side note wholly cow.. Did you know the GSD has a bite of 238-750#s as compared to a pitbull that was shown to be 350# of force.. This blew my theroy of the dog not knowing its own strength.. and I still have homework to do..due Tuesday night as well.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dfrost, Perhaps you missed th point I was making with the bite, I wondered if it was a dog that did not know its own strength, I was not attempting to do the "My dog thing, but I certainly see how it would have came that way".

Thank you for the link, I was reading this artical Pit bull terriers by animal behavior dog bite expert for attorneys when you replied, seems to be a decent amount of info here. But still have not found the right reference for what I am hoping to get.

As far as a paticular breed, my concern is what happens next, or what will the next breed be. In the site you found, it states, a Dog is 85% less likely to bite if it has a basic obediance class. If we want to mandate something, it should be responsible ownership..

By the way, Thank you for what you do!!

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I once read an article on GSD bites and it did defend them by stating the reason why bites have went up is the popularity of the breed has went up. More popularity = more GSDs and more less quality GSDs bred by BYBs and puppy mills to make money.

I am back and forth on this as well, if I am mix breeding, am I not breeding out the very behavior everyone is afraid of..

The site listed above states the GSD and the Chow are more likely to bite then a PitBull..A Pitbull is more likely to have a fatality or injury. I HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING ANYTHING that supports Pitbull ownership, other then the people I have know who have had them. But, what will be targetted next, or, what if they sum it up with "No Large Breed" or " no dog that might one day be aggresive because we banned everything else we could ban"?

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only real 'pit bull' is the APBT, their bite is no stronger than a normal dog, they are not overly powerful animals.. that is media hype. Before you try to defend them, you need to get EDUCATED. I have time and a real passion for the breed, PM me with any questions you have.

Many people mislabel other breeds as 'pit bulls', so much so that 'pit bull' is now being used for any dog that even looks bully... 'pit bull' itself is NOT a breed, but the shortened name of the APBT..

Watch these to get started on the very basics..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTDS9psIcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTixlL7Z3k&feature=channel
APBTlove,

When I get home I will watch these, but I ( with out looking at the video's ) am more worried now then before.. If they dont have the Pitbull name to go after, then they might as well sum it up as any large breed..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.