German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my boy to meet my parents couple days ago and mom says look at his paws he's gonna be big.I've heard that statement many times never really thought about it.So is it fact or fiction?Is he gonna be big?

·
Registered
158 Posts
All puppies have big paws (in relation to their body size). It doesnt have anything anything to do with how big your pup will be. Sure, bigger than average paws could be a sign - but still nothing concrete.

I heard many comments like that when my boy was small and his paws got bigger still. Hes no bigger than an average GSD at his age now. (although he still has some growing to do).

Regardless, handsome boy you got there and I can guarantee you he will get bigger than he is now :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Phenix had BIG paws! And he is a BIG boy (95lbs, no fat at all), but the breeder told us it had nothing to do with "how big he would be". Phenix was the smallest guy of the litter and now, he is the biggest one!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Wouldn't it be just like a toddler with "big" feet? He may grow into his feet or he may be a small adult with giant feet. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Fiction. For 1 depends on the breed, I've seen basset hounds with bigger feet than a mastiff lol. And Kane my GSD is 90-100 lbs and he has avg size feet and he has never had big feet for his size lol. I think it just depends on the dog and the age lol.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I vote fiction.

Growing up we had mixed breed rescue dogs. We were always told "that dog has big paws and going to be BIG". So far from the case most of the time!

You have a great looking boy who will surely get bigger;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would say fiction. Tucker is 3 years old and his paws are huge, but i am only 5'2 and he just comes to my hip with his back barely and weighs 130lbs. Its just like humans. I had huge feet(size 9 at 9 years old) but i am only 5'2

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have heard this for as long as I remember...I think it is a wives' tale! I just hope my puppy grows into her ears!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had always heard and believed the same thing about big paws. We adopted Tora, a mixed breed, as a pup from the SPCA, and thought for sure she would be a big dog (80-90lbs) because her paws were so big. She's about 55lbs and her paws look proportionate to her height/size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My vet said that my rescue, Molly, was going to be big because she had 'fat legs!'
Her legs are the only thing that's growing it looks like! she's like a puppy on stilts at the moment :)
But yeah, it's only true as far as common sense goes- a tiny breed will have tinier paws than a GSD but it's all a bit disproportionate until they're closer to grown!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how old is your dog?

how big are his parents?

how big are his litter mates?

I took my boy to meet my parents couple days ago and mom says look at his paws he's gonna be big.I've heard that statement many times never really thought about it.So is it fact or fiction?Is he gonna be big?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts