German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my dog has been itching since she was a young pup. I took her to the vet a few months ago, we did a skin scrape for mites that showed nothing. So she was prescribed Macrolone tablets to give her a break from the itching. It worked and her hair that she chewed grew back during this time. Once off the tablets itching returned so I switched from kibble to only chicken mince for 3 weeks but showed no signs of improvement. Shes been back on kibble for a week (i didn't like her stools on only chicken), I'm gonna try again for 6 weeks with kangaroo mince.

She was mostly chewing her legs before but now her face is also really irritated and she rubs it you to scratch.

What does this look like to you?
I would have liked to already gone to the vets but it got worse over the easter break.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If I were you I would take her back to the vets. Also, I would feed her a good grain free kibble.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I agree with Courtney...& it is probably not food allergy but environmental. Are you supplementing with fish oil and vitamin C? Or giving an antihistamine? Supporting the immune system is important.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I agree that it's probably environmental. And that looks like it's already or at least heading towards a staph infection.

Is anything blooming where you are right now? Do you have rugs in your house? What kind of cleaners do you use in your house?

What kind of bowl does she eat out of?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also think that it is environmental, a grass allergy or something.

It is Autumn here.
We use an all purpose cleaner from the health food shop for the floors and OMO matic for our clothes and her beds. We have rugs + carpet + wooden floors.
She eats out of a metal bowl.
I recently started supplementing her with doggy fish oil, what else can I give her? I will look into vitamin C and antihistamine.

She is booked to see the vet tomorrow. Anything that I should say or ask them?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Def. Vit. C if bowels will tolerate, boost the immune system ~ bovine colostrum, natural diet.

Looks like could be demodex mange - which is due to a weak immune system - likely from vaccines and/or HW/flea preventions

Rub some coconut oil (raw organic) on the belly - first do a 50/50 mix of raw organic apple cider vinegar/water and spritz the area - naturally antibacterial as well coconut oil will treat yeasty condition

will have to cover as she will lick off teh oil - which is fine - can also feed 1tsp/10lbs body weight to treat from inside

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy has Fall allergies, the only time is shows up. This past Fall (recommendation by Jax08 on the board) I found a local bee keeper and got RAW honey. The key is raw & local to you, within 50 miles. Started giving him a tablespoon every day, by day 11 we did not have to give Benedryl anymore. I was actually shocked that it worked so well. We got through the season with no secondary bacterial infections, the season before he was a mess. I did get in the habit when we are in for the night to take a warm wet washcloth and just wipe him down, esp. his feet. He actually enjoys it. But right now the focus has to be to get your girls poor skin under control.

Another thought, have you used any products in the yard to fertilize, weed killer?

I do agree this is most likely environmental. Food allergies are not that common, according to my vet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
seasonal allergies..food maybe..pollen outside could do it too..Take her back to the vet

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
GatorBytes - what coconut oil do you recommend? I'm hearing so many super benefits from giving it. I shop on-line mostly.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Vitacost has a big tub of organic coconut oil that is a good price. That's what I use (for myself and for Rafi).

I have found that ACV fights yeast really well, if that's a yeast infection. The coconut oil is very soothing and healing.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
GatorBytes - what coconut oil do you recommend? I'm hearing so many super benefits from giving it. I shop on-line mostly.
I usually suggest Nutiva (yellow label) - meets all req'd - Raw, organic, cold pressed AND "hexane free"
Hexane is a chemical used in extraction of many seed oils and incl. soy which is in many kibbles

What Is Hexane?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts