German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD developped an eye infection on 1 eye over the weekend, my hb thinks it's from swimming in a specific creek, but who knows? The skin around his eye is swollen and reddish, and he has goo in it when he wakes up.
I just called the vet and they can't see him until tomorrow, and today it's a little worse, he's now puffy on his eyelid. I'd like to give him some relief or do something as another 24 hours without treatment seems long. Do any of you have suggestion as far as an eye wash or anything else ?
Thanks ahead for posts.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If you just want to wash his eye (which would probably be soothing) you could use ordinary saline solution like you would use for contacts--or something like "Visine Tears"--nothing medicated, just an artificial tears product.

I've used artificial tears to wash gunk out of Luca's eyes and he doesn't mind it.

Then tomorrow, the vet can prescribe something antibiotic.

Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
yep, i second the visine, most vets will usually tell you to use this when there is eye irritation present. it will usually clear it up. although, we are not there to see whats going on and are not vets, if it is a general eye irritation this does work.

debbie

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Sorry I would be driving my but to vets
and not leaving until they see my dog.
I am crazy like that but the visine sounds good

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts. I'm also thinking I could make an eye wash with a herbal tincture of Echinacea (I'm into herbal medicine, have had great results for myself and hb) since it is a plant that can boost the immune system during an infection.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
And I know nothing about making herbal tinctures, so you may know whether or not that is a good idea to instill into the eyes. I trust this uses distilled water, or is sterilized somehow?

I'd be cautious about anything in the eyes, especially inflamed eyes, other than ordinary saline.

The route to the immune system is not through the eyes. If Echinacea helps boost immune response (and I agree with you that it very well may), could you not give the dog Echinacea tea to drink?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the tincture is in a base of alcohol but I diluted it in water. He was fine when I put the drops in. I used to work in a lab so I know how to make it all safe, but thanks for your advice, it doesn't hurt to be reminded.
I put Echinacea in his water too, perhaps it will just prevent the infection getting worse, or it won't do anything at all.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
What does the discharge look like? Is it clear or slightly yellowy? Then go with Tracy's idea. If it's green, I'd go to an emergency clinic. Green means pus, which means a significant infection. And I don't mess around with my dogs' vision.

We don't know why the eye is inflamed. It could be reacting to the river water. But he could have scratched his cornea.

Whatever you do, don't use any human antibiotic drops. (These are Rx drops). These are commonly mixed with steroidal compounds. If your dog has any sort of abrasion on his eye and you use steroidal drops on his eye, you can permanently damage the eye. I'd use only a sterile saline eye wash. Your vet will look carefully at your dog's eyes and may use a dye on the eye to test the eye for injury before prescribing any drops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The girls had a similar condition when they were very young. The entire rim around their eyes were swollen and red (I don't remember any discharge) The vet gave them oral steroid and had to wash with warm cloth twice a day. He blamed it on the little see-nothins flying into their eyes. Not sure if that was really the cause, but it did clear up just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts