German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jesse who is 21 weeks old, we noticed in the last 5 weeks he gets eye gunk, slimy in the corners of his eyes, mostly after waking up but gets some during the day too, should I be concerned or is this normal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are you seeing any other symptons? Sabre started getting eye gunk when he had some allergies...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other issues at all. My sister-in-law's lab got pink eye, and Jesse was around her the day before it started, but Jesse doesn't have pink eye or the same symptoms her dog had. Jesse was put on Canidea All Life Stages around the time, now starting to wonder if allergy coming from it (which would be strange cause he was pulled off Science Diet Large Breed Puppy and Canidea is a good food with no bad fillers).

·
Registered
163 Posts
How much are we talking about? Our little (9 wk) puppies get a bit of eye gunk in the morning, but nothing to really speak about. I presume that Jesse doesn't have a runny nose or scratching at face/red skin at all?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No runny nose or scratching face or eyes, just eye gunk that was never there before just showed up and comes every single day for last 5 weeks. He gets eye gunk, slimy long eye gunk, all day long (most when waking up). My old Saint Bernard never had eye gunk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How has the weather been there recently? Maybe he has a cold?

You might want to think about taking him to the vet and have them take a look at it. If he is getting a lot of slimy long eye gunk all day long that might be prudent.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My 6 month old has the same thing. I took him in to the vet to be sure nothing was in the eye, he told me that his bottom eyelid was actually rolled in at little, and the eyelashes were irritating the eye. He said we could due surgery; said it was "minor" (he would remove part of the lower eyelid skin). We chose NOT to do the procedure and watch his eyes. If they don't get better, we may elect to do that with his neuter at 9 - 10 months (they are looking good right now; but put drops in them if they start getting "gunky" again).

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take him to the vet, I don't have a lot of confidence in our vet, he is young, and I heard by word of mouth (during puppy education classes) he made a misdiagnosis on another dog who almost died because of it. Jesse already has appointment to be fixed on April 24th and I think after that I will look for a new vet. This vet is new to us as my old vet retired.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update we took Jesse to the Vet, vet wasn't sure what was causing it but suggested trying Polysporin for Ears and Eyes for 4 days 3 times a day, and now his eyes a clear and gunk free.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update again well we stopped the Polysporin and eye gunk came back so we switched Jesse's food to Timberwolf and oh my he loves that food, he went from "I don't care about my food" to "give me give me give me". Use to be hard to get him to eat his quota a day now no problems with that. Also the eye gunk has completely disappeared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts