German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup recently started having issues with eye drainage(goop) when we took him on vacation with us to Arizona. His one eye was all red and draining, we took him to the vet, he tested both eyes to make sure there were no scratches and there weren't so we assumed it was probably some sort of allergic conjunctivitis reaction. He was on some steroid eye drops which cleared up the redness but he's still having drainage. It kind of looks like pus and I'm having to clean it several times a day.

Right now he's eating Fromm whitefish and potato, he also gets fish and coconut oil. Should I try switching his food? Could this be environmental, should I try anything else? I can take him back to the vet, I was just looking for some other opinions as well. :) One of my other dogs is having some eye irritation issues as well so I'm trying to figure this out!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think its allergies. 3 out of four of my dogs get eye boogers that dry hard. I give my dogs benadryl and when I do they don't get this or any redness.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its allergies. 3 out of four of my dogs get eye boogers that dry hard. I give my dogs benadryl and when I do they don't get this or any redness.
Ah good idea - I'll try switching his food too in case it's the potato or something, he hasn't always been on this particular one.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If it continues, have him looked at for Pannus. We went through the goopy eyes for months and finally when Scarlett started getting corneal spots, it was determined that she has Pannus. Steroid drops will make it worse, so if you do not get it cleared up, have a further evaluation.

We went to a veterinary opthamologist for the final diagnosis. Scarlett is on Lacrimor drops twice a day now and NO more eye goobers and no more corneal involvement.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
all my dogs get eye boogers, but after many, many times of us cleaning them off they get the idea and do it themselves.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona gets black eye boogers. They are hard. Is that what you are talking about? If yes, it is normal. Kinda like the stuff in the corner of my eyes when I wake up in the morning. If no, then I have no clue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fiona gets black eye boogers. They are hard. Is that what you are talking about? If yes, it is normal. Kinda like the stuff in the corner of my eyes when I wake up in the morning. If no, then I have no clue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
No this is like puss, light colored. I'm going to try some Benadryl and am switching to a gluten free/grain free Honest Kitchen formula. If I don't see any kind of improvement from the Benadryl then back to the vet we go!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I once removed a grass seed from under the third eyelid. That was the cause of the discharge from his eye.
The vet checked his eye pretty thoroughly, even put some solution that lit up under a black light and didn't find anything so I'm fairly certain it's allergies but taking him to the vet in a couple days just to be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts