German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I really would like my dogs to be on the same food for my own sanity.

So, we think that my lab mix has food allergies. I switched him to Natural Balance Duck and Potatoe from Eagle Pack Holistic L&R to help his issues per my vet's suggestion. While his original issues have subsided (head shaking, scratching, some loose stool) he now has eye discharge. I thought that we might just live with that so I tried switching my GSD as well and she now has eye discharge as well. The also had some eye discharge on Canidae L&R which is why we switched from that. So... what to do now?

Has anyone found that the eye discharge is related to the grain source rather than the protein source or vice versa?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
You might compare the labels in the dog foods tried and see if there are any common items that may cause the allergic reactions and discuss them with your vet. He may want to do some testing so you don't have to keep trying different foods.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Just a thought since you are in same area as I am.I too wondered whether Jake's eye gunk related to recent food change.My vet told me it is the WORST year she has seen for dog allergies (can cause eye irritation)due to xtra high pollen and she saw in in many dogs who hadn't changed diet.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Or there is a cut in or around the eye

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: ttalldogMy vet told me it is the WORST year she has seen for dog allergies (can cause eye irritation)due to xtra high pollen and she saw in in many dogs who hadn't changed diet.
I'm in RI too and my vet told me this as well. LOL, maybe we have the same vet!

Morgan's always had eye goop in the spring and summer. This year it's worse. The days that it rains and she stays inside, I see far less goop the next day.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Axl has had eye discharge on and off since a puppy. I've finally switched him to grain free (Natures Instinct--Rabbit or Duck) and he gets raw. It's been about 3-4 weeks now and I had seen an improvement in the eye discharge. But now....the last few days...he has it again. I know MY allergies are terrible....so maybe the change in diet helps, but does not overcome the natural airborne allergens????? We are VERY much in the country with hayfields, trees, you name it.

It's frustrating to always be wiping his eyes, but they don't seem to bother him or be itchy.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I am dealing with the same thing. I have my my allergy dog on the Natural Balance Venison and Sweet potato. He still has some eye discharge but not has much. I let someone talk me into trying a turkey and rice formula and his ear blow up - firey red and itching. Immediately went back to venison and sweet potation. Ear has cleared up. I think he as some airbourne allergies as well as anything in the chicken/turkey family.

I bath him alot and wipe eyes alot.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you all have really good suggestions.

i do think that i have a number of issues going on that might be from different allergen sources (environmental and food).

i just wish that there was a way to tease out the different sources easily....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'm in RI too - major eye gook. So bad that I took Lady Jane to the vet last week for environmental allergy testing. We only did food last time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My dog has same thing. Tried switching to another brand...still has eye "boogers". Vet here said same thing about bad allergy year. I can believe it, as our mulberry tree had so much pollen this year it covered car and you could dust it off, and I see lots of "scum" on lake from pollen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts