German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seven month old puppy is a great dog. Her one fault is her exuberance in meeting people. She jumps on them in an effort to get to lick their faces. We have been working on this in a Control Unleashed class and also with a one on one trainer. She is improving but still needs me to pay steady attention to her to get her to focus on me when a person comes in to view.

This morning I took her on an unleashed walk in one of the few public areas where dogs off leash are permitted. It is in some hilly woods with narrow paths. At one point, a woman came up on the path behind us and Chianti noticed her before I did and ran up to her and started jumping on her.The woman started shouting at the dog to get off and started kicking her . Chianti thought it was a great game and jumped more and before I could get her leash on she apparently nipped. The woman had the kind of tiny wound we have all had plenty of when the pups were in their land shark phase. woman said she had big dogs herself. woman asked if Chianti had her shots and rabies shot and I assured her the dog was current on everything. I apologized for puppy's bad manners and woman left.
Several hours later, policeman at the door. Told me had complaint of dog bite and said woman had gone to doctor. I showed him evidence Chianti had her rabies shot but he said he was obliged to order her quarantined for 10 days. Failing my agreement to a home quarantine he would take her away for quarantine. Ok, we'll live with the quarantine
He also said that unless dog was under 100% voice control she must be leashed. How does one achieve 100% voice control? Will an e-collar do it? Other suggestions?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Most places with "voice control" laws require you to test to achieve an off leash license. A seven month old puppy is not going to be 100% reliable off leash yet - that takes serious obedience training/distraction work and a strong bond between dog and owner, which a puppy is still learning at her age. Forget the e-collar for now - use a long line, carry treats on you, make it a game with toys, and reward her when she's doing well. At this age, training should be fun. If she realizes listening to you is a fun fun thing she is less likely to bolt on you and more likely to return when you ask her to. Learn from this situation and make sure it doesn't happen again... the results would be much more severe if it happens with a 15 month old dog that isn't as cute anymore.

Good luck and sorry you're going through that situation!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
offleash area or not, I would keep her ON leash until you can get better control of her.

She is only 7 months old, exhuberant and full of energy, people dont know her, don't realize she is just ill mannered. I would not use an e collar at this point, I would step up your training and definitely keep her on leash until you have more control

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
As far as I understood, your problem is not meeting people in sitting position, but seeing isolated persons in vacant space. A leash is only temporary tool, your dog must be as obedient on the leash as without. First of all ask yourself why your puppy jumps on strangers. In doggy language these jumps mean "Come on!". If you dog jumps on you - it means "Come on! Let's go!" or "Come on! Let's play!". If that is towards the stranger, it "Come on! Get away from here" and these jumps indicate a low stage of agression. She attacked that woman, the woman turned agressive and your dog turned even more agressive. She's testing herself, she wants to know how strong she is, would others be frightened of her or not, she might have some satisfactory experience already you haven't noticed, some dogs love to scare people just for the sake of it, and it all starts with this "puppy exuberance". I believe her reations on strange dogs are similar.
Press on recall. She must return to you at any time in any situation. Muzzle her in a soft muzzle Royal Nappa Leather Dog Muzzle - product code M88_2 [M88##1073 Loop-like Leather Muzzle] - $79.00 : Dog harness , Dog collar , Dog leash , Dog muzzle - Dog training equipment from Trusted Direct Source - Home, Dog Supplies and start training her without the leash. Do not panic if she runs to people. You should never run after her, keep recalling and walk in opposite direction thus showing to her that that person is of no interest to you. Also be very calm, demonstrate to her that the whole issue has no significance. She will respond one day, start turning back to you faster than before, and finally would make a move without your command because she would learn to live in anticipation of it. The flow of agressive emotions need a release. Put a considerable load on physical daily exercise. If she was busy, tired, she wouldn't pay so much attention to strangers.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
First thing is get the jumping under control, reinforce a polite greeting by asking her for a sit and quietness every time before acknowledging her. Use a leash if necessary to help you control her

Second, no more offleash until her recall is better. You should be able to call her off most things, use a long leash and use lots of treats and praise to reinforce her coming back to you every time.

This time you got off easy, next time you might not be so lucky so don't take chances anymore and really work on controlling her.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this might be long.

a dog which goes in to avoidance or into aggressive reaction is wrong for a gsd , but so is this opposite over friendly reaction , which comes from stress and need for a stress release. You see this when you have a "big old dog" who is secure stand and have some young thing rapidly go through a series of appeasement actions - especially the face licking.

so not totally a training issue. Instead of having her switch her attention to you when a person appears , while staying where you are , or having the person continue coming towards you, YOU move away -- switch her focus more dynamically , otherwise she is in stress , amplified with frustration.

If and when she meets a person , have a brief request "I'm teaching the dog manners would you mind not petting her" . By the person being neutral , she will get less stimulated and go to a neutral mode herself . Her behaviour has become non productive.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
find a trainer. train and socialize everyday several times a day.
find a trainer asap.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You know whats really unfair is most of the time that dog jumping on people situation was created by the very same people who oogled and revved that same dog up when it was a cute little puppy and wanted it jumping up on them and giving them kisses and tons of pushy attention. Fast forward a few months later and they don't think its cute they think its terrifying.

I gotta say though. If my puppy was kicked by someone for bad manners and not outright attack I would have probably attacked her myself. Forget the puppy needing to do it. Especially if it was in an off leash designated area. If you go somewhere like that you kind of better be expecting that kind of thing.

Regardless of that you need to work heavily on recall although a 100% reliable recall at that stage of the game is probably not going to happen if you haven't spent a ton of energy on it already.

The jumping thing is pretty easy to fix with an E collar or prong collar. The dog jumps up on someone he gets he gets a level 10 correction. Bam. Like he stepped on a landmine. You have to be more careful about the ecollars than with prongs because E collars can cause weird superstitions if you just all of a sudden throw one on the dog. He's old enough for that type of correction now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts